How it all started

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

Being new to the site I thought I would introduce myself. I am Geoff and I live in West Wales although I originate from Kent. I became disabled three years ago and more recently I had so much time on my hands it was driving me mad. I am a carpenter/joiner by trade and there was no chance of me being employed so I decided to take up wood turning, purely as a hobby. I had a budget of £2000 and with that I bought a Jet 1220VS lathe, a patriot chuck and several accessories, a pile of wood turning tools, a sharpening system and a bandsaw. Overall I am very pleased with what I bought, the quality is good and it will last me many years. Apart from the bandsaw that is. What a pile of rubbish. It is going back tomorrow and I am getting a Jet industrial model that has excellent guides top and bottom. It has been three months since I turned my first piece and within minutes i decided it would no longer be a hobby but a small business. By the way. I used to do a lot of woodturning in a bygone era and amazingly most of it came back to me.

I am now attending two craft fairs a month and in November I shall have four. the things I make are being displayed in craft centres and I have people e-mailing me for things, so I am off to a good start. It is not easy as I can hardly walk and thankfully the two venues where i attend craft fairs both supply tables and chairs. I have had to buy a nice table cloth and some pastel shade tissue paper to wrap things up in that people buy, so much better than old copies of the news of the world. I have a lot of help getting my stuff in the halls and they are a great bunch of people. I make all sorts of things and love every moment. I love making little animals and have mice and pigs at the moment. I also make kitchen roll holders, bottle stoppers, light pulls of course. T light candle holders, loo roll holders and a pile of other things. The emphasis is on quality and a superb finish. I am not reliant on wood turning for my income and any money made goes straight back into the business.

Looking towards the future I am going to get more kit, another lathe. I don't have an extractor at the moment so I wear a mask and a visor, have both windows open in the workshop and the door and the through draft does a lovely job, especially when sanding. I will get more tools along with a slow grinder with a fine pair of wheels. I shall also invest in the modular tool rest system and finally get a new bench. Looking at lathes it is difficult to make a choice at the moment but then I am not going to get it till the end of November so I have plenty of time. It is a sad fact than many of the really good lathe manufacturers are no more. Lathes that were household names and made in far away places like New Zealand, Australia, Canada and here in the UK have either gone into demise or been bought by the Chinese. It is now common knowledge that a very well know manufacturer of wood turning tools from Sheffield has been bought by the Chinese. I had looked at the Nova DVR lathe as an upgrade but they are now made in China so I have ruled that out. Poolewood have just launched a new lathe called the Polaris DVSL. It is very similar to the Nova lathe in the fact that the spindle is a direct drive from the motor, no pulleys or drive belt. I have my doubts about this system. especially when working with uneven loads like a rough sawn blank or a log. I cannot see the motor taking this kind of punishment. I have vowed that the new lathe will have a reversing capability on it and of course it must have variable speed. This narrows the choice down to two. The Axminster AWVSWL ABCDEF 1200 or the Jet 1624. I think I will have to have a good look at the Axi one before i make my choice and it will be interesting to see what the reviews are like on the Poolewood lathe in due course. I am very saddened by the fact that the firms that make decent wood turning tools and accessories will become a thing of the past soon with everything being made in China so if you can get your decent stuff while it is still available. Any comments would be gladly welcome. Happy turning everyone and may your tools always be sharp.

Geoff.

Hello Geoff

Nice introduction and welcome to our little section of the WWW :mrgreen:

Regarding your second lathe , depending on budget , have you seen these

Again not made in the UK but I did see one at a show and the quality looked good

http://www.philirons.com/index.php?opti ... Itemid=119

Also this make I can recommend as I have owned 2 in the past

Its on a internet site , here's a link http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/woodfast-m910 ... 45fd407512

keep us updated and we like lots of photos :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the very warm welcome I have received. I am really enjoying looking at everything on here and have already picked up some useful tips. Ian, I was not sure if I was allowed to mention the company in this context but the company is Sorby. They have been bought out by the Chinese. I am glad I got my Patriot chuck before they took over. I am not sure if the chucks and tools will continue to be made here in the UK though. The bandsaw I bought is blue in colour and the company that import them from the far east begins with C. I will give you a clue, it ends in wood. Having said that I was in the local turning shop the other day and they had a lathe in by the same company and it looked okay, lots of features on it and a real low price.

Geoff

The Poolewood DVSL has been on the market for some time. Here in Kent many Orchard Woodtirmers Milstead members have a version of the Poolewood direct drive lathes.
There should be no problem with unballanced loads. I have had the 1500 version for approximately 6 years and no problems.
The only problem with a direct drive is that there is hole through the head so no knockout bar. On mine the thread protector ejects almost all MT devices.
I would not hesitate recommending this lathe. Terry Davis the owner of Poolwood has very good after sales service although all his sales are now by Internet.

Fred Taylor

Chippygeoff":103sa0jh said:
Thanks to everyone for the very warm welcome I have received. I am really enjoying looking at everything on here and have already picked up some useful tips. Ian, I was not sure if I was allowed to mention the company in this context but the company is Sorby. They have been bought out by the Chinese. I am glad I got my Patriot chuck before they took over. I am not sure if the chucks and tools will continue to be made here in the UK though. The bandsaw I bought is blue in colour and the company that import them from the far east begins with C. I will give you a clue, it ends in wood. Having said that I was in the local turning shop the other day and they had a lathe in by the same company and it looked okay, lots of features on it and a real low price.

I went through 2 of their lathes from new.... neither lasted more than an hour before tripping all the electrics and going pop! hence a full refund was given.

ps; welcome to the forum

Hi everyone and hi to Melinda. I am so grateful to everyone that took time out to post a comment or give advice on lathes. It is really appreciated. Because of my disability I have to stop every half hour or so to give my back a rest so I spend 10-15 mins on the computer looking at all the interesting blogs and articles on the site which seem limitless. I am working like crazy at the moment building up a stock ready for the October 8th craft fair. Today boys and girls we are making candle holders for T lights. I have some Ash blanks round about 8inches across and 3inches deep. I don't know what everyone else does but I am more or less self taught, when I started I had the idiots guide to wood turning in one hand and a gouge in the other. Anyway. I digress. I mount the blank on a screw chuck with tailstock support and generally shape the outside. I then remove the tailstock and then make the internal dovetail for the chuck and then sand down the lower half before chucking it. When I have retrieved it from the bin I mount it using C jaws. I then shape the top and then I make a hole that will hold the glass T light dish. When I am happy with this I hollow out the rest to a nice shape finishing with one of those multi tip scrapers. I am going to get a big jobby for Christmas, be a lot easier. When I am happy with it I do a final sanding of 400 grit and then seal it and polish it.

Of all the various timbers I have used I have found Ash to be terrible for bits of end grain standing up and refusing to lie down. I have tried wetting it, applying sealer to make the grain hard and then using a freshly sharpened scraper. I have done a sheer scrape with a freshly sharpened gouge. It is not on all of them, just the odd one now and again. While writing this I thought I would mention some mice. I have got about 20 of the blighters and they are on my kitchen table. Actually I made them. I punch out half inch disc from 1mm leather and these form the ears. I make a hole at the rear end for the leather tail and for the eyes I burn them in with a soldering iron (cant afford a pyrography machine at the moment) I was wondering if anyone could come up with an idea to make the eyes look better, ideally something that is shiny, they only need to be about 2mm. I thought of tiny black beads. I could drill a very shallow hole and glue the bead in for half its diameter. If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it. Once again, may thanks to everyone.

Geoff.

Happy amateur":2pu201k4 said:
Geoff

The only problem with a direct drive is that there is hole through the head so no knockout bar. On mine the thread protector ejects almost all MT devices.

Fred Taylor

My direct drive Nova has hollow head and tail, so must be different for different manufacturers.
(v pleased with it, by the way, though it is pre-Record, so I ASSUME it's a New Zealand build, though don't know for sure).Greg

Am absolutely delighted for you and can feel your enthusiasm and excitement. I still feel the same.

I know very little, but please do lots of research before buying any lathe which is blue and ends ' wood'. Oh, and the dust extraction thing I think should be high on your list.

Marvellous. Welcome and well done.

Hi Geoff Good luck with your venture.

Mike

PS share your concerns on matters Chinese

Back