How do people do template copying?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you do multiple shape copies?

• I use a hand router with a bearing-guided cutter or a guide bush

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I use a router table mounted router with a bearing-guided cutter or a guide bush

• I use a pin router with a guide pin

• I use the spindle moulder

• I use another technique (please state details)

• I do not do template work

• Total voters

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Having recently been asked (elsewhere) about the uses pin routers and other template copying techniques I wondered how other people here do their template copying work. I'm predominently an overhead pin router user (see my green avatar) although I do sometimes use the spindle moulder

Scrit

i couldnt answer the poll because i have never actually done it. I would like to explore the world of guide bushes and templates though..... one day :roll:

The last time I did some template work was with a table mounted router with a flush cutter bit with a bearing, with a template pin to the wood ( it was some chair legs, back ones)
The legs where cut close to the pattern so it just needed triming

I can't click on the three methods that I use.

Handheld router, router table and spindle. Really depends on what the work is - size, solid timber or MDF etc.

The one I reach for most is my Easy-tip Multitrim with both top & bottom bearings which make it easy if you are working with the grain.

Scrit can I ask why you tend to use the pin router in favour of running the work through your CNC machine, is it quicker to make a template than it is to programme the machine?

Jason

Mostly router table, unless doing something really big like worktops, then I use a handheld router. Use bearing guided bits, unless I have to offset it for some reason, then I use template guides.

Obviously, worktop jigs for example, are designed to be used that way; but for most things, I make my own templates. One example, where I would need to offset it is for arched frames and panels, to allow for 6-8mm inset into the top rail. BTW, you can achieve some degree of offset, just by increasing the size of the bearing (as opposed to using template guides.)

Sorry, Yankeeism again.:oops: Template guide=guide bush.

Brad

jasonB":3do5muii said:
Scrit can I ask why you tend to use the pin router in favour of running the work through your CNC machine, is it quicker to make a template than it is to programme the machine?

Much quicker, especially if it's a one-off or I'm only making a few. On the other hand if accuracy is an issue or a particular drilling pattern is required then I'll go to the CNC.

I've been using the CNC for low to medium volume repetitive jobs, especially mirror image work like LH/RH carcass end pairs at which it excells and undercut edge work (e.g.bullnose edges) at which it excels, but I can generally work quicker on the pin router, especially as I currently have two in the shop.

Scrit

i voted handheld router with guidebush / collar..

Scrit your just making me jealous now, two pin routers and a cnc machine :shock: any chance you might post some pictures of your shop, i would really enjoy seeing how a professional shop like yours is setup.

tom

Hmmm i think the 8-[ Legacy 8-[ could work as a pin router :D
I too use a template and guide bush or a bearing guided cutter .

Latest posts

Back