How do I lubricate old Brook motor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
I have an ancient bandsaw, the Brook motor has lubricating ports with screw on brass caps the size of a schrader valve cap. One had some grease in it. I am supposed to pack with grease and screw down the cap occasionally or are they meant for oil?
Thanks, Tom

IMG_20240102_115415.jpg

Remove that brass insert and then you can work out what the thread size is in the motor body.
There are various grease nipples available......and then you can just use a standard grease gun.
I'm pretty sure 2 BA is the thread size of the grease nipples on a couple of old Brooks Crompton motors I've worked on...?

Here is an example to suit 2 BA thread.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27378376...YgY1x1ROUrY4yP3ujuaEYQ7RdbrDTzjcaAhwOEALw_wcB

Remove that brass insert and then you can work out what the thread size is in the motor body.
There are various grease nipples available......and then you can just use a standard grease gun.
I'm pretty sure 2 BA is the thread size of the grease nipples on a couple of old Brooks Crompton motors I've worked on...?

Here is an example to suit 2 BA thread.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27378376...YgY1x1ROUrY4yP3ujuaEYQ7RdbrDTzjcaAhwOEALw_wcB
Thanks, sorry I mistyped the question, could I keep using the existing ones with standard grease?

I am supposed to pack with grease and screw down the cap occasionally
^^ That’s the intended use. Very easy to overgrease motor bearings, which makes a mess in the windings and can cause overheating from the extra friction. A little tweak every so often is all that’s needed.

I’d take the motor apart and replace the bearings with new quality sealed bearings. The existing bearings grease has probably solidified as a consequence of both age and saw dust.

I’d take the motor apart and replace the bearings with new quality sealed bearings. The existing bearings grease has probably solidified as a consequence of both age and saw dust.
Or, if retaining the original bearings, at least clean them out (I use diesel) and repack lightly, making sure the grease ports are clear.

Might be worth a look inside, in case it’s like the motor on my Wadkin RB:
IMG_0017.jpeg

Yuck!

Back