How do I....I don't know what it's called!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd recommend the Chestnut spirit stains, they do a "rainbow" colours trial pack with quite a few colours (half or more of which you probably don't want, although might make for interesting mixing experiments). I found them easy to apply, and will still allow the figure (grain) of the wood to show through, although this does depend to some extent on the texture of the wood. So ash, for example, might show more contrast than sycamore, probably because of it's coarser (?) grain structure. Raising the grain before or after application of the stain would probably make a difference (moisten surface with water and rub back with sandpaper when dry). They are soluble in meths, but I found that they seemed to bleed a bit when I applied an oil finish over the top (not an issue if you just have a single colour). It is absolutely vital to have a good surface finish when you stain as any torn grain will stain much darker and be rather more obvious then if left unstained. Do not underestimate the last point!

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Dod

On that basis, the bed might not be suitable....it was a single that I turned into a double and used T bolts where there was once dowelled lap joints. Since I was working on the floor of the living room in my flat, tear out was an issue!

I'm going to get that kit on Friday though, I still have a book case I want to play with :)

I once stained a coffee table with beetroot juice, gave a really nice colour. Trouble is it only lasted about 18 months before it just faded away completely and I had an unstained table :oops:

regards

Brian

I have just posted on here regarding a finish for oak doors and was advised that Osmo Poly x was a suitable finish. Whilst looking at their website i saw that they did a range of translucent pigmented finishes. You might find something suitable on there.

Regards,
Piggy

Latest posts

Back