How can I find out if a Plane is any good?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpooley

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just aquired a tatty old record 0120 block plane.

I have googled it and found out it was manufactured from 1931 to 1982 -
no idea what age this one is.

cant find any other usefull info on it - I just wanted to know if it was worth renovating?

I dont mean from a collectors POV by the way - just as a user :?

I have cleaned it up a bit and it seems to cut reasonably but would love to know more about it b4 i have a go at it :)

thanks

Mike

Record did produce good planes for professional use but also offered cheaper options aimed at the DIY user (from quite a long while back). Especially with the block planes they seemed to have a model with each feature - so you could find a plane at any price point. The good news is that the 0120 was not one of the most basic models - it does have the screw depth adjustment. However it does not have the adjustable mouth so it was not the top of the range.

But overall, all that matters is how well it works for you. Clean it up, sharpen the blade and try it out!

Andy

AndyT":2losbc9m said:
Record did produce good planes for professional use but also offered cheaper options aimed at the DIY user (from quite a long while back). Especially with the block planes they seemed to have a model with each feature - so you could find a plane at any price point. The good news is that the 0120 was not one of the most basic models - it does have the screw depth adjustment. However it does not have the adjustable mouth so it was not the top of the range.

But overall, all that matters is how well it works for you. Clean it up, sharpen the blade and try it out!

Andy

Thanks Andy will do :)

Spot on. I have a collection of Record planes, of differing values and quality, and I get on well with 'em all.

I will get scorned for this, but ATM I am without a decent rebate plane, so am using a Paramo 10, which is a replacement blade plane (takes small stanley-ish blades) and is not at all what most folk here would use. But, that said, I get on extremely well with it. I have had very good quality rebate planes (078's, 010's, 10 1/2's and so on) and this one is really OK. I get nice long, wispy, thin shavings, and that is enough for me. And the finish is like glass!

So, as Andy said, it really is up to your own preference. I'm off now before I take some abuse for my serious lack of rebate plane!!! :oops:

Neil

Hi

we all use differing brands of plane mike each to his own choice, depends really on the condition if it's worth renovating , post a few pics and let us all see what sort of nick it's in that way we all get to see a possible before and after thread . hc

Thanks all :)

If I get time i will give it a sharpen up and a bit of a clean and see how well it goes 8)

Im a bit new to all this hand plane malarky but i think Im working it out

thanks again

Mike

Chris Schwarz had a series of posts on his blog a few months back about what to look for in a second-hand plane. I'll see if I can find a link.

Back