How best to partially thin stripwood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aeolus

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum so please forgive if my question has an obvious answer.

I have stripwood that is 20mm wide and 4mm thick. I want to thin half the width by 1mm so I can use it to frame and partially overlap a 1mm thick panel. I'll need to do this to 7 metres length of stripwood.

What would be the easiest way of doing this? What tool(s) would I need.

TIA

Hi, I'm new to this forum so please forgive if my question has an obvious answer.

I have stripwood that is 20mm wide and 4mm thick. I want to thin half the width by 1mm so I can use it to frame and partially overlap a 1mm thick panel. I'll need to do this to 7 metres length of stripwood.

TIA
Router table with shaw guards or profiled tunnel to support the piece as it leaves the cutter and so that your fingers stay in place.
You could in theory do it conventionally with a router but would need a way of holding the strip wood securely whilst keeping it fairly straight and flat. You would likely be limited to shortish lengths, a metre or so depending on your work space.......

Various hand tools. Electric tools only a drill and a jigsaw. Happy to hire the right tool or buy it as long as it's not too expensive (bearing in mind that this is likely a one-off project)

it's not a difficult job as its a small amount to remove. but with limited tools it may be more satisfactory to get a woodworker to do it on their router table.

By hand, some sort of rebating hand plane would do it.
Lots which would get the job done, Stanley 45 or Record equivalent, but there are cheaper options in cast iron, likely plenty of cheap woodies to choose from, as well as some more pricey moving filister planes.
Not sure I'd want to be using power tools with such little tooling.

Tom

TIA
To rebate a thin lath the main thing is the holding. Has to be firm as the lath is light and springy. So shaw guards or feather boards and router table or spindle.
If desperate it could be done by hand with a 78 or similar but would need very careful setting up and probably do each piece cut to length rather then trying to rebate long lengths.
PS praps hold it down with double sided sticky tape

Last edited:
By hand, some sort of rebating hand plane would do it.
Lots which would get the job done, Stanley 45 or Record equivalent, but there are cheaper options in cast iron, likely plenty of cheap woodies to choose from, as well as some more pricey moving filister planes.
Not sure I'd want to be using power tools with such little tooling.

Tom
45 is more of a plough plane. Can do rebates but not as well as a rebate plane.

Just to check - A 10mm wide by 1mm deep rebate in 4mm thick stock
Work holding for handwork will rely on having a bench of some sort.
I’d use a rebate plane with a fence as it’ll be pretty quick work and doesn’t need a big tooling investment.
A Stanley or record 78 would do it and they used to be pretty easy to pick up cheap online. You will need something under the piece to give space for the fence so worth getting a bit of 3x2 that you can clamp your workpiece too and then secure the 3x2 securely on your workbench.

Get a few spare lengths for practice and mistakes

@Aeolus Whereabouts in Sussex are you? I'm between Haywards Heath and Uckfield so could set it up on my router table if you want to try that route.
Regards Martin

Im also happy to offer to do the same as what @MorrisWoodman12 has offered with my router table. Im closer to the coast near eastbourne/brighton if that is more local to you.

Latest posts

Back