How a chisel is supposed to behave

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corneel

Established Member
Reaction score
Today I chopped the mortise for a try plane. At the end I was curious how the edge had held up, in light of several discussions last week.

This was the mortise.

This is the edge under a 10x looking glass. Still very smooth, no chipping at all. It also still feels very smooth on a thumbnail.

And it can still pair our local fir/spruce/pine/whatever endgrain, reasonably well. This stuff needs an ultrasharp blade to cut cleanly. I've seen worse results from a freshly sharpened blade.

It is the right one in this picture. Nooitgedagt, probably prewar, laminated blade, grind at 30 degrees, honed a little steeper.

Interesting cross section - basically just a rectangle, but with softened arrises on the upper face.

Not seen that in the UK or USA.

BugBear

They look like they heared about beveled edge chisels but had never see one. But of course they also made normal bench chisels with beveled edge. I don't know the exact purpose of these.

Nice work!
I imagine the softening of the edges is to make it more comfortable when guiding the blade with your hand, while keeping maximum strength.

Back