House sold in 4 hours

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Just sold the house, at full asking price to the first visitors, just 4 hours after signing the contract with the agent. Not even had photos or measurements done yet.

There is still along way to go I know but I was not expecting this result so soon. Fingers crossed their survey is OK and that their buyers hold true.

Should I kick myself for not asking a higher price or congratulate myself on being right on the money? :wink:

Just need to find somewhere to live now

Andy

Hi Andy

Well done. You're on a high, I can tell! At this stage, don't worry about whether the asking price was too low. But you need your agent to confirm for you that these buyers are indeed bona fide and "proceedable".

We moved house a few weeks ago and it had taken us exactly 12 months from putting our house on the market to actually moving into our new place. Our trouble was time wasters and "house tourists" - people who come round and view houses as some kind of hobby. Before we finally sold our house for real, we had three acceptable offers, only to have those "buyers" change their minds and back out at a later stage.

Now you've accepted an offer, don't panic about finding somewhere else. Take your time and be sure about the place you choose.

And when the time comes for planning the actual move, get at least four quotes from removal firms. You'll need a good choice because your contract completion date will shift and change as you get closer to it and your first choice removal firm may not be able make the final date. DAMHIKT!

Good luck.

Congratulations - house tourists are the worst thing about selling (well apart from estate agents. And solicitors. And surveyors. And people that say wheres the garage then, when its patently obvious there is not one, or people that say well, we really wanted three double bedrooms - read the bl**dy details first then :evil: ). If you were happy with the price when it went on the market 5 hours ago, be happy now when its sold at that price. Concentrate on the what I have, not on the what I might have got. :D

I have always been the other way round - I can find houses I would like quite easily, its selling the one I was in that was always the problem. You are now an extremely attractive possibility to the owner of any house you look at, and the position you are in means a low offer of 10k below the asking price will still get serious consideration as you have a completed chain below you.

Best of luck - and dont forget the estate agents almost certainly neglected to mention you will have to add VAT to their 1.5% cut for 4 hours work - DAMHIKT :roll:

Steve.

dedee":okf38u6y said:
Just sold the house, at full asking price to the first visitors, just 4 hours after signing the contract with the agent. Not even had photos or measurements done yet.

There is still along way to go I know but I was not expecting this result so soon. Fingers crossed their survey is OK and that their buyers hold true.

Should I kick myself for not asking a higher price or congratulate myself on being right on the money? :wink:

Just need to find somewhere to live now

Andy

Exactly the same happened to me at my last house whilst the buyer kept complementing me on the workmanship.

Just shows, do a house up properly and with fairly neutral tones, and unless they are building a bypass through your living room etc, you should have no problem

I think I'd want t areduced percentage point from the Estate Agent, he must be rubbing his hands together.

Well done Dedee, lets hope the rest goes as smooth.

Waka":1xyc0ds3 said:
I think I'd want t areduced percentage point from the Estate Agent, he must be rubbing his hands together.

i would certainly be asking for something off the bill even if its only £200, allthough iw ould be pushing for more.

hope it all goes smooth for you :wink:

Well done. I have just sold a house that completed about 14 months after going on the market, hope it all works out for you.

Waka":xxm788is said:

I think quite the opposite!! How much would you of paid yesterday to be in this situation? Any agent that can sell a house in 4 hours for a price you are happy with deserves their 1.5% if you ask me!!! Ask anyone who has had a house on the market for any length of time. If you have to sell for 10% or 15% below the asking price then ask for a discount.

No i'm not an agent by the way!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Rgds

Saint

I still haven't quite come to grips with this scenario of Buyers changing their minds - having come from the States mind you! If they make an offer and it's accepted; then that's it in my mind. I've never yet had anyone try to 'back out' for whatever reason over there, in 15 years thereabouts. I guess I've been lucky over here when buying. Hope it works out anyway....

The Saint":1d5cigcl said:
I think quite the opposite!! How much would you of paid yesterday to be in this situation?

I agree entirely. When mine was sold so quickly on the same day, I rejoiced and bought the estate agent a bottle (once the sale went through)

suprasport":1td3zxkf said:
Waka":1td3zxkf said:

i would certainly be asking for something off the bill even if its only £200, allthough iw ould be pushing for more.

What strange logic!

You hire an agent to sell your house for you; he performs said task quickly and efficiently, and then people say you should attempt to reduce his payment. Why should he be paid more for being worse at his job?

Be very happy. I sold my house last year to the first viewers after spending a month tarting it up in finest House Doctor fashion. I reckon I got an extra £20,000 for my month's work!

hiltsy":6lmyakyx said:
suprasport":6lmyakyx said:
Waka":6lmyakyx said:

What strange logic!

You hire an agent to sell your house for you; he performs said task quickly and efficiently, and then people say you should attempt to reduce his payment. Why should he be paid more for being worse at his job?

Be very happy. I sold my house last year to the first viewers after spending a month tarting it up in finest House Doctor fashion. I reckon I got an extra £20,000 for my month's work!

Getting me coat

The Saint":2rwj7a33 said:
Waka":2rwj7a33 said:

I think quite the opposite!! How much would you of paid yesterday to be in this situation? Any agent that can sell a house in 4 hours for a price you are happy with deserves their 1.5% if you ask me!!! Ask anyone who has had a house on the market for any length of time. If you have to sell for 10% or 15% below the asking price then ask for a discount.

Apparently studies have shown that estate agents generally take a week longer to sell their own houses, and get a better price.
Selling in four hours certainly maximises the amount of income the agent gets while minimising the amount of work they need to put in.

Congratulations on the quick sale.
In Scotland the system is quite different. We set a price and ask for "offers over". The current going rate around here is in the range of 25 - 40% over that price. When the sellers have enough notes of interest from prospective buyers they set a closing date for offers. You then have to submit your bid into a blind auction. This is pretty scary as you can pay well over the odds or get pipped by £1. The up side of this system is that once an offer is made and accepted it is binding so that chains of other buyers and sellers don't come into it.

Andy

Congratulations

We sold ours the day it went on sale too - lovely feeling :)

Whether ti is under priced or not is immaterial as far as i was concerned, at the end of the day, we got a fair price and moved to a better house and area.
Sure, i could have priced it 10K higher and waited 6 months to move....

Latest posts

Back