house extension ideas

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all

We've bought a new house, well 1958 2 bed bungalow actually. Good size plot.

I've drawn up a quick (but accurate) sketchup of how it currently looks and some ideas of what we would like to do. We would like to stick within permitted but thats not a game changer.

Current - I've included the attached neighbouring property
Front view
10435553805_26cbdfa17d_b.jpg

Rear view 1
10435542186_ef95e481db_b.jpg

Rear view 2
10435549375_54bca58ee6_b.jpg

Proposed

Front view
10435536396_ac74f20250_b.jpg

Rear view 1
10435528434_a41630c946_b.jpg

Rear view 2
10435547215_22ae552273_b.jpg

Alternative rear option - flat roof only as I haven't got round to doing anything else yet.
10435546525_838b2c39e5_b.jpg

I dont think there is enough head height in the proposed rear extension attic to conform to regs. Could I use an asymmetrical roof to achieve this? If not we could use the space as an extra area for the kids, but not as an official bedroom? The current attic would make a good size bedroom for our two boys.

I have put in another option at the bottom that we could go for that would be cheaper and let a lot of light into the kitchen diner.

The side extension to be the new entrance leading into a more formal dining area / play area for the kids leading into the living room at the end. Lots of ideas about this bit, but ideally would make it two story or add a mezzanine in for guests to sleep in. Lots of glass in the C shape that is created around the patio creating a courtyard type of thing.

The side extension and end bit are both right up against the neighbours boundary.

I have read so many website and spoken to so many people and heard so many different accounts of what you can and cant do that I thought I would just get it all down so I could show the planning officer and see what would fall within permitted.

Lots of other possible ideas, but getting two bedrooms upstairs would be ideal.

Oh and we have a very small budget ;-)

This could be my longest WIP to date!

What is on the other side of your proposed extension (next door the other side) and bottom of your plot i.e. are there gardens, other buildings etc.?

I'll do another one to show context. Wont take long.

In fact my neighbours one is not quite right.

Rear of garden backs onto the rear of another garden.

Ha, I think Kevin and Sarah might be looking for grander ideas than ours. Not sure I fancy getting my ugly mug on the telly box either :)

Here are another couple showing the property in the context of the neighbours. I have shown my attached neighbour with his extensions in place now too. Although his wont be perfectly accurate. He also has a small dormer front and back too which I haven't added.

10438992993_76d3425336_b.jpg

10438999803_a4d369dab2_b.jpg

Hi
Not a hope of any of that being within permitted development! Both planning and building regs are needed IMHO.

Absolutely correct that these days you have to pay to speak with a "right honourable officer of the planning dept" i.e. the guy whose wages you pay! :(

The alternative is to make some sketches, preferably to scale, download a simple application form and bung in a pre planning application to the council. In our area it costs £20 and takes up to 3 weeks for them to confirm whether planning / building regs required or not. I've just do so for the new property my son is in the process of buying even though contracts haven't been exchanged yet. ( Guess who'll be doing the extension in his spare time? - busmans holiday or what! :lol: )
cheers

Bob

I agree with Lons.
Anything vaguely habitable will need building regulations (I didn't pipe water into my workshop for that reason) and from the size and purpose of your extension, it has to need planning permission.
I'm not sure if the old 45 degree rule applies - that is where if your extension is in the line of sight (45 degrees each way) from any neighbour, they can reasonably object. If your sketchup is to scale, I would think the back of your extension can be seen in this area by your neighbour. Unfortunately you can't claim an existing neighbours building does the same for you as a precedent.
As well as talking to your local planning office which is a must, I would start to have a conversation with your neighbours. They could have a major influence on what you want to do so let them think they are influencing the design and you stand a better chance of success.
A final point: -
Oh and we have a very small budget
You might want to have a word with some builders as to what your budget will actually get you before talking to planning or worrying your neighbours?
Sorry if all of this sounds negative but it is a minefield and even friendly neighbours can suddenly become very defensive in these circumstances.
I have to confess that when my neighbour came around with plans for his extension, I initially wasn't the most receptive. His extension was only going to cause me some short term inconvenience and despite being in a job as a change manager, I wasn't the best dealing with personal change.

Thanks for the input chaps

I get on very well with the neighbours and their wishes are very much in thought with these plans.
Building regs will always be required for this sort of work, but reading through all of the guides on the governments planning portal, all of this falls within what they deem as permitted as far as I understand it.

The attic conversion will provide a space less than 50 cubic meters and the ridge will be below that of the original ridge. Infact this may be our main issue that the new ridge is too low to get the head height, but we have a few options there.

The side and rear extensions do not cover more than 50% of the total land surrounding the house
There are no forward projections
Width of the side extension is not greater than half of the width of the original house
As the extensions are within 2 metres of the boundaries, the maximum eaves height is less than 3meters and the maximum ridge heigh is less than 4 (both much less in fact)
The maximum rear extension is projecting no more than 6 metres from the rear of the property (extended limit that is only available until 30th May 2016). In fact it extends back as far as the rear of the original garage. This is a grey area if they include the garage as original part of the property or not.

I would be glad to hear what information you have to the contrary as I am basing these ideas on the government planning portal.

Latest posts

Back