Houndstooth dovetail tutorial at last!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really lovely work, I feel all inspired now, glad it's the weekend tomorrow!!

However, just thinking out loud; when I make dovetail joints, I always make the tails and pins slightly longer than the thickness of the board they mate too. The final glued joint is then planed down flush to the outer surface. I find that this method means if you knock or drop a pre-glued piece, any dented parts get planed off.

Just wondering if making the joint flush straight away is in fact the normal way of doing things...

Andy

Andy
I believe the idea is you prepare the parts to be ever so slightly too big to fit into the drawer opening. Then, after assembly, you plane it down to a perfect fit(also removing any nasty marks, etc).
Hope this helps,
Philly

I've seen a workshop floor that had those rubber interlocking tiles laid out, I'd like those I,m always dropping things (not clothing) :oops:

Aye, they do look comfy. But I guess they work out pretty pricey if you wanted to do a whole workshop floor. So, it's just a piece of carpet until then!!

Phil, yes, that sounds sensible. I guess it applies to most jobs, leave it slightly over-sized, then take it down once everything is glued up (Gives you a second chance to get everything square too!!).

Tony, very, very nice, both the joints and the tutorial were excellent. =D> =D> Flash Git :mrgreen: oop's sorry.

Regards

Woody

Echo all above. This is very impressive. I might have a go myself. All I will need is a workshop, good tools, nice timber, skill..... :-({|=

Adam":3dto75n7 said:
Just one thing though, could you make the postage stamp sized images bigger? (not on this post now its on here but generally) It'll have regligible effect on bandwidthdownload time and means you don't have to click "every" image just to see whats behind it?
One of my favourite bits of free javascript is the photo slideshow. It is really easy to use. All you need to do is visit the writer's site, and type in the locations on your host's webserver of your photos, and the code is generated for you. Did I mention it is free? I knocked a demonstration together in about 10 minutes at http://www.sol.co.uk/t/tazmaniandevil/Gallery-Demo.htm
The photo gallery looks quite impressive, but requires beginners skills to copy into a web page.

Back