Horse Chestnut Hollow Form With Rosewood Collar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all, this is the first thing I have turned for a long time, I've been busy building an extension on our new house since early in the year and with other work and stuff, haven't had a great deal of workshop time. My poor old Maxi2 has rust on it!!! After a bit of de-rusting I had a little time this afternoon.
This is made from a piece of Horse Chestnut that fell down a couple of years ago at a mates house, it had got a bit soft in places and brittle here and there during the drying but sharp tools and a light touch kept the tearout at bay :lol: Like the lathe I felt a bit 'rusty' too.....

The piece is about 6 inches tall and the same in width.

Comments and critiques are always very welcome :D

Well the rust, from whichever source, does not show, the character of the wood does though.
Good choice of form to show it to advantage.

Thanks everyone :D I'm just pleased to have turned something after not having the chance to do so for so long (hammer) I just hope that the rest of my Horse Chestnut looks as nice as this does.

lovely piece
A thought - a subtle sympathetic curve on the rosewood collar would be more classical

Harlequin":1ubi4055 said:
A thought - a subtle sympathetic curve on the rosewood collar would be more classical

Thanks and yes, and I'm not sure why I didn't as normally I would do a slight concave curve on a flush fitting collar to keep the flow going but in this case......? I guess it just felt right in the moment :lol:

Back