Horrific storm damage pictures

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Horrific storm damage pictures

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,230
Hi Wizard

That must have been a terrifying experience and i can only say i am glad you survived it, fortunately my wife and i had the farsight to prepare by putting a mattress under the table and wearing saucpans on our heads, not the best nights sleep but we have survived due only to our diligence.

So that makes three of us so far to my knowledge so may i make a sujjestion that we try and compile a comprehensive list of survivers together with any supplies that they can share, also the skill sets that they have in order that we can start to rebuild our once great nation.

I will kick things off. As a natural born leader i put myself forward as future King, i feel sure there will be objectors to this as any punishment will be swift and harsh.

I anxciously wait to hear from more of my loyal subjects.

Berns

Well we have managed to crawl out of our underground bunker to survey the damage....YE GADS!!! The palm tree has lost a frond and the poor bay tree is missing a few leaves also! I have ventured further into town and there do appear to be a few survivors wandering the streets looking bedragled (pretty much like any town in west wales!)

During the reshuffle of power to rebuild the nation may I put myself forward as chancellor of the exchequer as I can count to eleven without using my fingers and know how much a loaf used to cost before armageddon struck!

Spinks

You will be put forward for consideration as chancellor, however you do sound a tad over qualified for this position.

BERNS

We too survived the apocalypse, no thanks to the dog who didnt even murmur during the night so we had no alarm alerting us to the ensuing carnage. As far as supplies go, I have a small heap of sandbags (top one slightly damp) and a tin of peaches (out of date) to add to the stockpile.

I think the postie must be delayed ,,,,i was hoping he had the ballot papers,,,You have both got my vote,,,

I have loads of pic, I'm a tree surgeon and the stuff I'm looking at is crazy, going to be a very long day

TT

tobytools":1hffp1fw said:
I have loads of pic, I'm a tree surgeon and the stuff I'm looking at is crazy, going to be a very long day

TT

You'll earn more money for eBay!

BugBear

Gents,

From the tone of all the above I take it that the storm was not as bad as expected?

Living in Switzerland I could not of course experience it myself but can receive BBC radio. From that, both yesterday ("it's coming, batten down the hatches everyone") and this morning (Today - flights delayed, lots of flooding, X trains cancelled, no electricity, don't leave home before 9 am; etc, etc) it sounds as though it WAS pretty bad (as bad as the 1987 storms, which I also missed?)

So before I make a prize tit of myself and send "Are you OK?" messages to people in Sussex, Kent, Cambs, and N'hants can someone please tell me how bad it REALLY was/is?

Thanks in advance
AES

I'm getting pretty fed up with the BBC who keep telling me that the storm blasted its way through the midlands last night. No it didn't. It rained a bit and there was no wind.

Sky news has just shown a piece about a guy who's plastic porch roof didn't blow off. He thought it would ... but it didn't.

Toby, could you send the BBC some good pictures? They only seem to have three at the moment and keep showing stuff from 1987.

Richard T":48aec465 said:
I'm getting pretty fed up with the BBC who keep telling me that the storm blasted its way through the midlands last night. No it didn't. It rained a bit and there was no wind.

A massive lime tree in my garden was waving about - and I mean the tree was waving about, not the branches or leaves.

BugBear

Aha ... and a guy in Ipswich had his double decker bus blown over. Sounds like it was windy in Suffolk.
But not here. In fact I think it was windier last night.

They are now reporting two dead from fallen trees, for some it couldn't be worse!

In Kent wasn't it? I think it must have missed at least half of its predicted area.

How was it in your neck of the woods Mr. Earp? I heard the IOW got the strongest gusts.

bugbear":1bvahw87 said:
tobytools":1bvahw87 said:

TT

You'll earn more money for eBay!

BugBear

That's my motivation :) all right. I've spotted another diamond but I'm skint for another week.
(I think I've started collecting again, thought I ditched that habit. Guess not)

TT

bugbear":3ui3as21 said:
Richard T":3ui3as21 said:

A massive lime tree in my garden was waving about - and I mean the tree was waving about, not the branches or leaves.

BugBear
I live fairly close to BB, the wind here has been powerful, although less so now than 5 hours ago when I first saw and heard it. (I slept sound although the wife informs me our power went off around 2 am but was quickly restored, well done edf =D>) I have never before seen clouds of leaves swirling 100 feet or so in the air.....It is often windy round here (flat featureless landscapes dont help... :lol:

The storm was not as bad as 1987 but at least two people killed and 250000 homes without electricity.
Lots of pictures of storm damage, fallen crane in Whitehall and downed trees on the 1:00 News with massive disruption.

The Met Office forecasted we would get 30mph winds and that's what we got - no damage but massive amounts of leaves and branches everywhere.

I think people should stop treating this as a joke and thank their lucky stars!

Rod

Richard T":1mo4oc7z said:
They are now reporting two dead from fallen trees, for some it couldn't be worse!

In Kent wasn't it? I think it must have missed at least half of its predicted area.

How was it in your neck of the woods Mr. Earp? I heard the IOW got the strongest gusts.

About a dozen trees down that I have heard of, a derelict building has been severely damaged, power has been out for some, and I had slight damage to my workshop roof - now fixed. There was nothing to report on the steam railway where I was finishing the decorations for the "Witches and Wizards" week, the worst thing I have heard of was a dinosaur was decapitated at Chale.

Well spotted by the way.

G

Harbo":2v9zx1tx said:
I think people should stop treating this as a joke and thank their lucky stars!

Rod
Our commiserations and condolences are with anyone that has suffered a loss, be it personal or financial, and no offence is meant but this thread was created as a light hearted poke at the often overzealous reporting from the met office/ bbc/ govt (take your pick) in the traditional British manner (see The Wipers Times for a recent example)
Please read it with that in mind.
Thanks

Back