Horizontal, slatted tool-wall. A puzzle...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Somewhere on t'interweb I saw a piece on a 'slatted tool-wall', fixed above a workbench.
As far as I could tell, the foundation consisted of upright wall mounted studs. Fixed to the studs were half a dozen or so horizontal slats, about 3 x 1 inches each, and spaced approx 3/4" apart; (depending on the thickness of shelving material.) No mention was made of any support proved above the concealed, rear edges of the shelving to prevent tipping. It was claimed the shelves would just slide in between the slats, and would stay cantilevered, with both planes level, and would hold weight without tipping forwards. .

I am having difficulty in grasping this, and I can't see how you can dispense with support above the rear edges of the shelf,

Can anyone who has tried this enlighten me how this works without support above the rear edges? Or am I just missing something? Perhaps the horizontal slats need to be a certain distance from the wall behind?

Thanks in anticipation. :D

Try Googling 'Mandal Shelf'. It's an Ikea hack, but seems like the same thing.

c455b99cf9b74405229dafcdb1fd9045.jpg

I made one like this. (Not my photo).

Used 1/2" ply for the slats, routed a 1/2" slot to the rear underside of the holders so they hook over. Works very well; I'm very pleased with it. Mind you, if you fit it over a bench, you'll curse yourself when you drop a heavy steel tool onto that finely crafted musical instrument you've been slaving over for the last three months. :wink:

Pete

Hi Naz...

Now, I can see how that would work, especially where the rear of the shelf butts against the vertical studding. Butt when installing a short shelf between the studs where the edge of the shelf would be right against the wall, I still don't see how the shelf can't tip. Perhaps it's just me. I'll do a mock up on a board! :idea:

Pete,

That is very similar to the example I saw, but instead of routing a groove, I think I will put a strip on the wall behind the slats, and level with the bottom edge of each slat. That way there is support above the rear of the shelf, and in the middle, as well as support under the shelf, so tipping won't happen.

As for dropping tools on the bench, I don't make violins! :lol:

I never drop my tools either! Well not usually and generally on my toes! :mrgreen:

John, if the fit is good the shelf can't tip forward, there's zero play up or down. In theory this system can hold quite heavy loads quite safely. The only thing you really have to worry about is a knock sideways, unless the shelves are a particularly tight fit between the slats.

Just a word of caution. These systems which can accommodate shelves and bins etc look great. However, they only look that way if you keep your workshop dust free. I eventually abandoned exposed tool racks for cupboard systems simply because it is easier to keep tools dust free, dry and rust free.

AJB Temple":1upmy82a said:
Just a word of caution. These systems which can accommodate shelves and bins etc look great. However, they only look that way if you keep your workshop dust free. I eventually abandoned exposed tool racks for cupboard systems simply because it is easier to keep tools dust free, dry and rust free.

Thanks AJ.

I had already decided I might need doors. It's the adaptability of the hanging system I fancied, as the tool collection gets additions. (Although I have just about everything I need really!)

I suppose I could just screw some T slot channel to a board, but at my age managing large boards is a problem!

As for rust, my shop is integral with the house and has a steel, up-and-over door, facing due south. Only on the coldest days is the shop uncomfortably shivery. I think the door acts as a heat convector, even in winter, and it keeps the shop dry all the time.

That was until the water tank upstairs overflowed, and flooded my Sedgwick Planer/thicknesser. I didn't discover it until days later, and I had never known the water-tank overflow had been piped down into the garage. Needless to say it has now been directed through an outside wall.

But it's made a mess of my planer., and I am wondering if it has done major, or even terminal damage.

We shall see, when I can get someone to check it over. Not a simple job with my state of physical prowess! :lol:

Say Cheese :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back