Hopping mad

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Just back from the tip and asked if we could have help getting a very heavy item up the steps and the 4 men said it was up to us as they do not help any more. Also they now charge £1.75 sack for soil or rubble tyres £3.20 plasterboard £4.40 a sheet asbestos £10.10 a sheet. So as from now if its heavy i will have to fly tip it.

I am sure the various councils around the country employ someone whose sole job is to come up with ways to extract even more money from us. For ten years the car parks in my council area have been free to use by disabled drivers but now they have started charging the same as everyone else but they have put a notice up stating that disabled drivers can have an extra hour for free. I think most disabled drivers just use the car parks to do a bit of shopping so do not need to park fopr eight hopurs at a time.

phil.p":ptdn8x5l said:
themackay":ptdn8x5l said:
Another nice little earner for the council

By the time they pay for men and trucks 40hrs a week going around the countryside picking up fly tipped rubbish, is it? :?

Quite correct probably not.

I wonder what the law is on 'recycling centre' charges.

IIRC, councils have a duty to accept all domestic waste. These charges don't sound right.

Still, it's democracy: if you don't like Cornwall C.C.'s policies (or those of Redruth borough), you have, theoretically, a process by which to change them. It does work occasionally - I believe Westminster vastly improved traffic flow and reduced costs (to Boris' annoyance, I might add), by removing traffic lights at junctions.

Just a thought.

At the moment they are paying four men to sit in a hut watching old and disabled people trying to get rubbish up a flight of steps while they sit there and laugh at them. I went there once before and they refused to help and said i had to take it else ware. We and many other people have complained in the past and have got nowhere. They are more than happy to take things out they sell at a closed auction on a Thursday, that they keep a secret.

wizard":2n8zujp6 said:
At the moment they are paying four men to sit in a hut watching old and disabled people trying to get rubbish up a flight of steps while they sit there and laugh at them. I went there once before and they refused to help and said i had to take it else ware. We and many other people have complained in the past and have got nowhere. They are more than happy to take things out they sell at a closed auction on a Thursday, that they keep a secret.
Does your local councillor know of this? Also it would make good copy for the local paper - "where our council tax is going" along with a snap of the four sitting on their bums.

Roger P's absolutely right.

Nothing like a bit of adverse publicity to concentrate the mind of some complacent manager.

Ideally, find the nearest councillor to you who is in opposition to the ruling group. It's Lib Dem minority control; you have two independents and a Tory nearby, so that's a good start.

There is also http://whatdotheyknow.com for making FOI requests. This site is really brilliant.

You might, for example, enquire who runs the tip, how big the contract is financially, how long it has to run and how many staff are employed there. You might also ask to see the description of the service the contractor is being asked to provide, and any constraints on them concerning what they may (or may not) do with material deposited at the site.

You might also ask about any other contracts that contractor has with the council - how big they are and when they were awarded, etc. Crucially, you could also ask how many formal complaints have been received about that tip, broken down by month received, and how many were resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant.

Let your imagination roam free!

Don't expect decent answers on the first attempt. In my experience (and I have had some success using whatdotheyknow), they can be devious little *&*#$^*!. They are, however legally required to respond, and if they attermpt to fob you off or redact important stuff you can appeal (and should).

If you do use whatdotheyknow.com, do NOT give them the slightest hint of why you are asking. If they are behaving this badly in one place, chances are the whole operation is at best very badly run, at worst - well you can speculate yourself. Sharp questions with no obvious point of focus frighten the daylights out of them.

The above forms the basis for a campaign, but it also serves to alert middle managers that the natives are restless. You might, just, see an improvement without needing to go any further. It's worth talking to one of your councillors too, but you might gain more traction initially going the DIY route.

I have uncovered alarming abuse of public funds through doing similar, but so far have been unable to get much done about it, as it is a small department, part of a huge administration itself renown for waste. My conclusion was that in the great scheme of things it was simply too small a problem.

But that issue although infuriating, didn't directly affect me, whereas yours does you.

If we as citizens aren't prepared to hold the batsards to account, nobody else will.

E.

Do as they ask, injure (slightly) yourself in the process, ands then sue the hell out of 'em. They have a duty of care you are their premises by right.

At our council tip I took some ceramic tiles and they refused them stating I had to take them to another site around the corner. When I got there they wanted to charge us £9 to tip them! :shock: We left with the tiles still on board and disposed of them in another way. :wink: They seem to be encouraging fly tipping! :roll: What it wrong with them! :evil: I had a job in Lincoln where we had a load of fence panels to dump, we had to park the van at the gate and place all of the panels one by one on a trolley and drag it up a steep incline to the bins! it took us over an hour to empty the van! :roll:

We have a tip in Newton Abbot with signs that say 'staff are willing to help you if needed' and on the couple of occasions I've asked they have done it willingly and don't expect a tip, in fact are reluctant to take a tip. We have to pay £1.10 per bag of rubble and other charges for plasterboard and asbestos.

From next June we may have to pay £35 a year if we want a green bin to get rid of garden waste. I expect some people will go back to bonfires especially on washing days :lol:

Maybe worth Wizard having a break in sunny Devon and bringing his rubbish with him (hammer)

Regards Keith

Woodchips2":39mt63r9 said:
From next June we may have to pay £35 a year if we want a green bin to get rid of garden waste. I expect some people will go back to bonfires especially on washing days :lol: ..
Regards Keith
We've had the green bin scheme here for a couple of years. We have two but a very large rural garden with which to fill them with pernicious weeds and other stuff we can't compost. I think the 70 quid is money well spent.

Eric The Viking":h4kcdsj1 said:
Roger P's absolutely right.

Nothing like a bit of adverse publicity to concentrate the mind of some complacent manager.

Ideally, find the nearest councillor to you who is in opposition to the ruling group. It's Lib Dem minority control; you have two independents and a Tory nearby, so that's a good start.

There is also http://whatdotheyknow.com for making FOI requests. This site is really brilliant.

You might, for example, enquire who runs the tip, how big the contract is financially, how long it has to run and how many staff are employed there. You might also ask to see the description of the service the contractor is being asked to provide, and any constraints on them concerning what they may (or may not) do with material deposited at the site.

You might also ask about any other contracts that contractor has with the council - how big they are and when they were awarded, etc. Crucially, you could also ask how many formal complaints have been received about that tip, broken down by month received, and how many were resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant.

Let your imagination roam free!

Don't expect decent answers on the first attempt. In my experience (and I have had some success using whatdotheyknow), they can be devious little *&*#$^*!. They are, however legally required to respond, and if they attermpt to fob you off or redact important stuff you can appeal (and should).

If you do use whatdotheyknow.com, do NOT give them the slightest hint of why you are asking. If they are behaving this badly in one place, chances are the whole operation is at best very badly run, at worst - well you can speculate yourself. Sharp questions with no obvious point of focus frighten the daylights out of them.

The above forms the basis for a campaign, but it also serves to alert middle managers that the natives are restless. You might, just, see an improvement without needing to go any further. It's worth talking to one of your councillors too, but you might gain more traction initially going the DIY route.

I have uncovered alarming abuse of public funds through doing similar, but so far have been unable to get much done about it, as it is a small department, part of a huge administration itself renown for waste. My conclusion was that in the great scheme of things it was simply too small a problem.

But that issue although infuriating, didn't directly affect me, whereas yours does you.

If we as citizens aren't prepared to hold the batsards to account, nobody else will.

E.

Good bit of thinking there Eric....nice one.

Quick tip (no pun intended) - stuff like plasterboard can easily be broken up and put in bags for general waste. Our local tip has a skip for non-recyclable stuff. It used to take plasterboard but now insist we drive 40 miles to the nearest facility that will take it. Thus everyone just bags stuff and puts it in general waste. Fly tipping, while it might sound like a good idea, is a criminal offense and can result in prosecution, so be careful!

Steve

Our "Council Tip/Recycling Centre" is not actually the council. it's a private company. Welcome to "Maggie's Revolution". Nothing is for anyone else. it's all about profits.

I took a load of rubbish to our council tip, was told by an employee I needed a permit because the vehicle I was using was a pick up, I pointed to badge on the side of the vehicle, it saidNorthumberland Fire and Resuce Service, ie it was a county council vehicle, "sorry" said the chap, "you can't leave the rubbish here without a permit, you can get a one for free from county hall" I returned to the fire station, placed the rubbish in the back of the station officers car (a county council lease car) and returned to the tip where the gentleman who had stopped me originally, helped me unload the rubbish.

I must say though, most of the staff at our new(ish) recycling plant are very helpful, and it's free!

Baldhead

I can't fault the recycling depot at Malvern. The guys are very helpful, certainly not jobsworths. We have skips for household rubble (ceramic tiles welcome!), a separate skip for plasterboard. Green stuff from the garden not a problem. Used engine oil...ditto. Never been turned away with anything.

They run a voucher scheme if you have a trailer or van. Cars are OK and you can get a heck of a lot inside a Discovery !

The Council in Cornwall have given a THIRTY YEAR contract to a company to collect rubbish and run the recycling yards. They are F**king awful twits. My dad who is 84 has to drag his bins out to the gate which is about 30 feet from his back, ( I have to do it for him now ), they turn up in a little transit truck, tip the rubbish into it and merrily off they go with half of it blowing out the back. then A few months ago I went through all the hassle of getting a recycling permit. Went to the tip with one of my trailers.............. out of the office came this prick with cup of tea in hand. " You cant tip that 'ere !"...... "but I have a permit !!" ............. " looks to me that trailer is too big" .............Says nothing in the permit about "too big trailers" !!!!! "....... I'll get a tape "......."OK!!!!!!!"......... Out he comes with a tape and a mate to hold the other end....................." yeah I wuz right ! This is 14 inches too long! You cant tip it here !!!!" ( Looks at me itching for an argument )......... "OK " I say, " so if I went home and loaded all this into my other smaller trailer, an 8 feet long one, I could come back here and tip all this exact same stuff? " .................. " yeah, that would be fine, with in the rules" ..................... " so I cant tip this because my trailer is a bit too long, nothing to do with the load, but if I took it all the way home changed trailers and brought the SAME stuff back, I could tip it here ??????? " ................. " yeah "......................... I told him exactly where he could stick his recycling yard and left. This was the Launceston yard. I now go to Tavistock recycling yard which is just over the border in Devon. Lovely local workmen, pleased to help, no sodding permit, just " Come on in mate and chuck it in that bin, want any help "

Back