hoover related incident

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nabs

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a little Festool CTL SYS vac which is attached to a dust collector and is is perfect for my small workshop.

In a fit of buffoonery notable even by standards I left it turned on when I was last in the shed on Thursday evening.

I had no intention of going into the shed today, but luckily this morning I needed to go in to grab a tape measure only to find the shed was like a sauna.

It was so hot I first I assumed the small air heater I have in there had malfunctioned. Instead it seems the unseasonal warmth was a result of the vac running for about 40 hours!

Although the room was very hot the vac itself was still just warm to the touch and it still seems to be working properly (good work festool!).

My questions are: how close was I to burning my shed down and what kind of damage might I have done to the vac?

No need to remind me about what a berk I am!

File_0061.jpeg

Most of the proper workshop vacs are rated for continuous use so can run for extended periods but, as you found, they are really just a whacking great fan heater and heat up the workshop very effectively. Once the workshop is too hot, you may find the vac motor overheating. What happens then would depend upon the insulation class of the motor and whether there is a thermal trip fitted. Not an experiment I would care to repeat, but pleased that no harm was done in your case.
Perhaps you should ask Festool to give you a new vac and strip down the other one for use in advertising how bulletproof they are.
Duncan

Given that it was not hot to the touch, probably not very likely to burn the shed down, so therefore not a berk at all, still, something to remember when leaving the shed!

I have a kill switch that cuts the power to everything in the shed. What's more, I usually remember to turn it off - not always, but usually

K

Wait... you cant' title a post "hoover related incident" and not then have an X-Ray from the A&E department!

By design the motor will pull cool air over itself during normal operation, hence the eventual heating of the air in the workshop.

I suspect the vac is fine and the risks were low

I think it's only kapex's that festool have designed to catch fire.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

well a mate of mine left a small compressor on in a side room in his house for a day and his house nearly burned down :roll:

another 30mins delay before fire service was called would have meant flames through the roof and everything. As it happens, he's just had to gut the house ie new woodwork, kitchen, bathroom, electrics etc

shed9":luzryhsm said:
ColeyS1":luzryhsm said:
I think it's only kapex's that festool have designed to catch fire.

:?:

The Kapex has a bit of a reputation for burnt out motors, when it happens you get a little puff of smoke out of the back of the saw.

I've seen manufacturers take random units off the production line and torture test them for days until destruction, so possibly the Festools vacs get the same treatment.

Interesting to know because I was going to run something like this on my XCarve for some longer runs.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Back