Honeymoon Joint

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbo

In Memorium
Reaction score
Anybody know of the "Honeymoon" Bridle Joint?

A friend was told that a piece of furniture, whilst being shown round a stately house, featured one.

I cannot find anything about them.

Rod

In engineering circles a colloquial term for a tight or good fit is a "honeymoon fit" and a looser fit being a "mummy and daddy" fit.

I've not come across this in woodworking though?

I wonder if is is a play on words Bridle and Bridal perhaps?

The bridle joint is a through mortice and tenon that is open on one side.I`ve never heard it called the honeymoon joint.
I`ve heard of a suicide joint, that's a stub mortice and tenon with fox wedges.
Think I would rather have the honeymoon one.

It does sound like a confusion of bridle/bridal to me, with the idea of a honeymoon suite / bridal suite somewhere in the background.
Could you ask your friend what the house was and what the piece of furniture was? Or even what the joint looked like!

Perhaps it only lasts for a couple of weeks then starts to fall apart. LOL

Maybe a pegged (draw bored) bridle joint that is pulled tight plus no man would necessarily be able to pull it asunder.

Or possibly the opposite that you could part it by simply removing the peg.

deserter":2xm3qa12 said:
Maybe a joint where when it fails the female half is left with the majority of the structure.

Having been a victim (twice) of this particular disaster, I would say this is the perfect answer! :lol: =D>

Back