Homemade Magna-Feather Board

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
I saw this tip in GWW, it's not my own ingenuity.

DSC_0121.JPG

It uses the magnetic base from my dial caliper. The feather board is 9mm MR MDF with the feather kerfs cut on the bandsaw. I cut the recess for the magnetic base using forstner bits and a jigsaw. It has to be a snug fit, which it is.

DSC_0124.JPG

It works quite well. It's nowhere near as strong as a magnaswitch. But it does keep enough pressure for most stuff.

DSC_0123.JPG

So, thanks GWW. ;)

Thanks, wizer! :D I'd forgotten all about this. :)

I've been making some featherboards for my router table today and I can't decide what's worse - drawing all those lines or cutting them out on the bandsaw! :shock: :? It does make life a little easier if you use the fence and move it along each time - that's what I'd do if I were producing a batch of them. :wink:

hehe I didn't draw lines. I just guessed the distances, using the fence. My guesswork isn't brilliant, but it works. I'm not sure how well MDF will hold up as feather boards.... we'll see.

Never mind the feather board...this is just an opportunity for a 'drive by gloat' so we can see the new saw up close.

Want one :( - Rob

woodbloke":k7cblgtt said:
Never mind the feather board...this is just an opportunity for a 'drive by gloat' so we can see the new saw up close.

foiled! :wink:

wizer":1353zhx7 said:
woodbloke":1353zhx7 said:

Shiny init?...gota keep that cast iron polished with Autosol :lol: looks shinier than those Wakaplanes - Rob

Should do it much better. I assume those magnet will be much stronger than my calliper base. My idea was a quick cheap (free) solution.

woodbloke":1nm2e86e said:
wizer":1nm2e86e said:
woodbloke":1nm2e86e said:

Shiny init?...gota keep that cast iron polished with Autosol :lol: looks shinier than those Wakaplanes - Rob

I don't hasve time to polish my tools, to busy using them :wink:

Back