Homemade Lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SVB":26vj9u1z said:
Crafty,

Is there a club or tech college in your area you could visit for some instruction? I think some introductory experience of what 'right' looks, sounds and feels like will really help you.

If I was being cruel (to be kind!), you've asked questions here on building the lathe, how to make tools, about some ambitious (order of magnitude so imho) projects and most recently about the need for some sort of mesh formed glove box to be fabricated from garden fencing products. I really think a little hands on experience would help your project no end and also give me some peace of mind you're not going to get hurt (too badly) in the learning journey.

Sorry if this seems too harsh, or if you already have this experience and my reply seems patronising, it is not intended to be, but there is a danger here of providing multiple advice on several, discrete, aspects of the overall undertaking which all assume a degree of experience to put together safely and with the success you seek.

Brgds'
Simon.
hay Simon,no you not being patronising at all,i need to hear certain things as it is leathal,and i appreciate the input very much,i am trying to find someone i know who has xp in this area to invite them round to take a look at it when finished,i don't even want to put anything on it until as you say gain some xp on turning,the mesh is a start of ideas to protect myself from piece coming of the lathe,at least from the start just in case,cheers.

I think as Simon stated find a club near you and chat to the turners there who I am sure will help with practical demonstration (you can't beat hands on experience) Roughly where are you in Ireland nearest town will do. There is a map at the bottom of THIS page for some clubs there or as they are called Chapters

Dalboy":1wst4971 said:
I think as Simon stated find a club near you and chat to the turners there who I am sure will help with practical demonstration (you can't beat hands on experience) Roughly where are you in Ireland nearest town will do. There is a map at the bottom of THIS page for some clubs there or as they are called Chapters
cheers pal,i do know a place i can go to,when i get a chance i will pop in and learn the rite way.thanks.

CRAFTY":302mib57 said:
got my shaft,it's 25mm thick with 20mm threads each end

Hi Crafty
I'm following this thread with interest, out of curiosity how is the spindle and the bearings locked in place, also what chuck are you using with 20mm thread?
atb Andy

andy43":96tuk4ir said:
CRAFTY":96tuk4ir said:

Hi Crafty
I'm following this thread with interest, out of curiosity how is the spindle and the bearings locked in place, also what chuck are you using with 20mm thread?
atb Andy
hello Andy,the plywood is doubled on each side , routed the outer side to the thickness of the bearing,the back is smaller so the bearing can't be pushed backward,same on other side,then i will have nuts on the threaded bar so it can't shift the other way,when i am all happy it's finished and spindle lined up to tail,i might glue in the bearings,the shaft is jammed into the bearings,took me maybe 15-20 mins to tap one into position,as for a chuck,i had been told about 1" by 8 tpi,and i rang the engineer to have the shaft changed,could not get him,when i did the shaft was made so i will have to find a chuck to suit.

In terms of a piece coming off the lathe, I would suggest a basic full face visor like this one will be fine:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-fm952-safety-visor-500080

I think the contrivance your describing with mesh etc is likely to get in your way, catch the end of a tool handle and actually present a bigger hazard than an unguarded machine.

I'd suggest start small 1" - 1.5" square by 8" - 10" long and go from there. That way the stored energy will only be modest and well within the capability of a face visor if it goes wrong!

After that, as you build confidence in the machine and develop your own ability, go from there. Also, I suggest spindle work first rather than a bowl. That way the work is 'trapped' between the centres where as a bowl will require removal of the tailstock to turn the inner of course.

Best of luck,

Simon

SVB":2k7vvtit said:
In terms of a piece coming off the lathe, I would suggest a basic full face visor like this one will be fine:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-fm952-safety-visor-500080

I think the contrivance your describing with mesh etc is likely to get in your way, catch the end of a tool handle and actually present a bigger hazard than an unguarded machine.

I'd suggest start small 1" - 1.5" square by 8" - 10" long and go from there. That way the stored energy will only be modest and well within the capability of a face visor if it goes wrong!

After that, as you build confidence in the machine and develop your own ability, go from there. Also, I suggest spindle work first rather than a bowl. That way the work is 'trapped' between the centres where as a bowl will require removal of the tailstock to turn the inner of course.

Best of luck,
thanks i will be getting a face guard also,i am trying to nfind a chuck to suit the 20mm shaft,any suggestions?

Simon

CRAFTY":1faatng9 said:
andy43":1faatng9 said:
CRAFTY":1faatng9 said:

Hi Crafty
atb Andy
hello Andy,the plywood is doubled on each side , routed the outer side to the thickness of the bearing,the back is smaller so the bearing can't be pushed backward,same on other side,then i will have nuts on the threaded bar so it can't shift the other way,when i am all happy it's finished and spindle lined up to tail,i might glue in the bearings,the shaft is jammed into the bearings,took me maybe 15-20 mins to tap one into position,as for a chuck,i had been told about 1" by 8 tpi,and i rang the engineer to have the shaft changed,could not get him,when i did the shaft was made so i will have to find a chuck to suit.

Depending on the thread pitch, you may be into adaptor or plain bore machined territory I'm afraid, as M20 is not common in Woodturning and iirc standard M20 course is 2.5mm pitch. This table is pretty comprehensive as a reference.

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Chucks___Accessories/Spindle_Data/spindle_data.html

I suggest you do some spindle work first while you build confidence to save too much outlay in the first instance unless your mate works for beers!

S

not bad for eye ball'n as i have no pull drill,yet.

Attachments

• alignment.jpg
    alignment.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 664
there we go,little bit of adjustment on the tail,and need to move the head stock a wee bit,and should be rite.

gears are on,not done yet,i put these on the other motor to turn them,this motor is not as powerful as the other,i don't think there is enough power in it for turning,the chisel wasn't taking off enough timber,could not being powerful enough heve been my problem there?anyway when i get the speed control i will put the belt grooves on both sets with the other motor.

Attachments

• gears on.jpg
    gears on.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 663
so the lathe build may be short lived,being a lethal weapon it is not worth it,i just like building things really,but,it will be put to the test when i get a speed control,i will try it,i am curious to find out how the tail and head stock spin together,the lathe will be surrounded to prevent the piece from hurting me,give it a spin at slow speed,then call it a day,at least i will still have a 12" disc sander,thanks for helpful advise,if i had not joined here and had a lesson learned about the true nature of the beast,well,you guys know,anyway,thanks for knocking sense into me. (hammer) NEXT BUILD- JET ENGINE- made from wenge. :mrgreen:

Hey Crafty ... I think that maybe the face visor thing might not be enough. It's possible though that there may be some appropriate safety gear you could use that might give appropriate protection if/when you try out the lathe.

Obviously I'm not qualified to say if it will be safe, but a TALOS system might be worth a look..

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015 ... -suit.html

;)

Keithie":10o19zao said:
Hey Crafty ... I think that maybe the face visor thing might not be enough. It's possible though that there may be some appropriate safety gear you could use that might give appropriate protection if/when you try out the lathe.

Obviously I'm not qualified to say if it will be safe, but a TALOS system might be worth a look..

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015 ... -suit.html

;)
cheers kaithie,i will find something or make up a clothing jig,just in case,

Back