Home made spiraling tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean

Established Member
Reaction score
I started this home made spiraling tool project back in June but shelved it in frustration (spat my dummy out :lol: )

I decided to have another bash at it this week and had quite a bit of success :D

These are cocobolo and maple disks, turned using two different cutters.
The largest disk is about 50mm and the smallest about 30mm.
It takes longer to seal and wax them than it does to turn them.

Sorry about the cocobolo images.

Wow they look really good dean. I have had some random results, regarding textures!! More like, when i don't want them, i get vibrations, resulting textures. When i try, it ends up in a terrible mess :(

They look like fossils from the beach.

Can you show pictures of your cutters and tools and the techniques you used pleased?

Thanks a bunch :wink:

Dean, I'm not normally very taken with spiral tool work but seeing it done at that scale is giving me second thoughts.

What percentage are as "designed/desired" as opposed to "that's what happened this time" I.E. what are the chances of repeating the same design.

Ditto - Dean, would be great to see some photos of the tool, and how you made it.

Very novel designs, very effective, like it very much. I presume it was all turned in end grain?

Well Dean it looks as though your patience and Percy have all been worthwhile looking at those.They look really effective. :D
Pity you aren't coming to to the Bash to give a demo :D

Hi Dean,

That looks like a really good technique. I have the Sorby Spiralling and Texture tool acquired as a job lot when I bought my lathe. I haven't spent much time with it yet but your work is an inspiration.

Tell us more!!

Mike C

Here's a few more from today.

mixedspirals.jpg
[/url]

CHJ":2g5tfvx5 said:
Dean, I'm not normally very taken with spiral tool work but seeing it done at that scale is giving me second thoughts.

What percentage are as "designed/desired" as opposed to "that's what happened this time" I.E. what are the chances of repeating the same design.

Chas, At the moment I'm trying to see how many different variations I can make but I think the only limit is my ability and imagination.
It is possible to repeat the same design time and time again with practice.

I'm using different cutters now and know which one one does what so I suppose certain designs would be easy to remember once you've done a few, same anything else new, it gets easier with practice. id say that any confident woodturner could get the same or better results as I have within a couple of hours of picking the tool up.

There are a couple of things I need to look into before I show all the details but I will asap :wink:

Pictures please!!!! I am thumb twiddling at the moment so any ideas to fill the time would be useful.

Like Chas I don't go a huge amount on the spiralling or texturing effect but that's probably because I have seen some pretty naff examples aorund. What you have done and the variety of styles is however rather intriguing so please share

Pete

:oops: Sorry folks, I know you'd all like to see pictures of the tool so you can have a go at making your own but It's not as simple as that, I hope that doesn't sound like I'm undermining anyone ability because I'm not.
What if I did "show all" and someone made a tool that looks a bit like the pictures I've shown then tries to use it and gets injured :cry: or worse than that!! someone could make one and get no results at all and call me a XXXX :wink: ( see my signature below)

It's taken months to get as far as I have because there is a lot of work involved- machining, heat treating, a little forge work, fabrication, and plenty of grinding, then there's the method/technique of using the tool to consider.

I don't know how at the moment but I'm going to see if it's possible to get the parts made for a complete tool with cutters and instructions.

Well thats how thing stand at the moment, hope you understand.
My PM box is always open for any good advice offered.

Back