Home made shadow box advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bozor

Reaction score
I would like to make my own shadow box but I've got quite a few questions about the steps involved as I have never done it before.

I have attached a very rough diagram of how I think it should be put together. The final dimensions will be something like 100cm wide x 40cm tall x 5cm deep and I would like to keep it as light as possible because it will be wall mounted. I'm not 100% sure it needs a glass front as it would add to the weight but perspex may not give the same finish.

Now for the questions:

1. What materials should I use? I was considering using pine for the frame and box with some chipboard/mdf/plywood for the back of the box.
2. How should I attach the frame to the box? Would glue cut it here or would I need to get some L shaped brackets?
3. If I do go with a glass front, how do I secure it to the wooden frame? Ideally, this would need to be non-permanent as I may need access to the insides from time to time.

There are probably other questions that I have not thought of but this should be enough to get me started. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• diagram.jpg
    diagram.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 104
I've watched the video and it answered all my questions apart from one - the glass issue. How could I secure it to the frame?

Back