Home made saw bench.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the pics of your Sealy Col, and for your further thoughts about fixing the Axi. I'll attach a couple of pictures below. Seeing your picture of the vice on the Sealy reminded me that I have a big old milling vice gathering dust somewhere. As it looks like both the existing moving and fixed jaws on the Axi can be removed, I could probably just bolt this to the table and shim square I suppose. It would nearly double the weight of the saw, which might not be a bad thing! Doesn't help Dickm though.

Another possibility (now that I approach the problem with new determination!) might be to interpose a new 'bed', ie a piece of ali or steel plate between the existing casting and the jaws, which again could be shimmed square.

I can't see that your leveller would work in my case, as rectifying the error would require the back end of the stock to be lifted - apologies if I've misunderstood your suggestion though. It's always possible to chock the back end on an ad-hoc basis, but its fiddly and time consuming. It would be much nicer to have a permanent solution.
Regards, Rob
PS - apologies for picture orientation - attempts to fix have so far failed!

Attachments

• DSC_0624.jpg
    DSC_0624.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 627
  • DSC_0625.jpg
    DSC_0625.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 627
Hi,

Just a quick post Rob because I'm busy but hopefully the pictures below will be easier to look at?

What strange casting on your bandsaw?

I use Gimp for sorting images out and its totally free; I've used it for years.

Kind regards, Colin.

Bandsaw 1.JPG
Bandsaw.JPG

Attachments

• Bandsaw 1.JPG
    Bandsaw 1.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 626
  • Bandsaw.JPG
    Bandsaw.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 626
Thanks, guys, but unfortunately no help at all :( ! My Axy saw looks nothing like either of those. IIRC, it's called a MB150, or similar and it had a very crude table so it could be used as a vertical saw if you wanted to - I didn't.
The problem is that the holes through the chassis that take the shaft on which the saw pivots are not coplanar with the slideways of the (very crude) vice. So the blade describes an arc in a plane at about 95 degrees to the vice base. RELATIVELY easy to shim the material relative to the vice, but a bit af a PITA to do every time for different stock sizes.

Hi,

An update at last. Photobucket demanded $399 for continued use so I saved Photobucket the trouble and cancelled my membership as I'm sure millions more too will do hence the loss of a few pictures.

The new saw bench was running at around 5,000 rpm which was very fierce indeed so I've now changed the pulley ratio to give 3,850 rpm which is still a bit fast so I'll probably end up buying another pulley to drop the speed to 3,000 rpm giving a rim speed roughly of 10,000 feet per minute which I'll feel happier with; I didn't want the saw as it was to be operated by someone who could become seriously hurt; I'm used to big machinery but not everyone is aware of the dangers of such machinery. I had a number of pulleys to hand and its not a big job or even an expensive job to change pulleys.

A new 32A "C" type mcb now protects the power socket in the workshop on a 6mm T&E cable and its now a delight to power up my big oil cooled welder and the saw without tripping a breaker.

Kind regards, Colin.

Back