Home made flush plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice one John. :D

I think I go with it possibly being sapele, I am sure its not beech or iroko.

I am not sure thats it a chisel plane as the Veritas one looks like this:
chiselplane-medium;init:.jpg

I think you have made a flush plane like this:
flushplane-medium;init:.jpg

But then its not unknown for me to be wrong. :roll:

So apart from naming it wrong and not getting the wood species right it is OK then :roll:

The wood looks too light in the flesh to be sapele or mahogany and it definately isn't iroko as I can tell that by the smell. But looking at some beech I don't think that is right either. I will post a pic of the table leg that it came from (they were on the way to the skip by a neighbour when I saw them).

Any other ideas?

John

Johnboy":1h8efmy6 said:
So apart from naming it wrong and not getting the wood species right it is OK then :roll:
Me again--of course a rose is a rose...that applies to both the plane and the wood.

Point is your first post said it works a treat--so regardless of what it is called, it works. Heck, I have a bin full of off-cuts from years of accumulation. While I can name a few without problem, others are nothing more than a guess.

Johnboy":1h8efmy6 said:
The wood looks too light in the flesh to be sapele or mahogany...Any other ideas?

John
It does look a bit like Mahogany to me. The grain/pores--the general texture-- and even the color. Especially if it darkens over time. And do know, especially if it was imported furniture which the leg came from, there are so many varieties of Mahogany, ranging from lighter to darker and texture differences. Not all are true Mahoganies, but...

Regardless of terms, feels good to make one's tools to solve a need, doesn't it? Trust me, it's a whole nuther slope :lol:

Take care, Mike

Mike/Alf, I wasn't offended, more amused. I knew I had seen a plane used for flush trimming somewhere that was called a chisel plane and found it here. Similar to mine but not quite as pretty :whistle:

You are right Mike, using a tool you have made yourself, even one as simple as this does give a lot of pleasure. I bet Alf enjoys using her chisels much more now with the lovely handles she made.

John

John,

Sorry about the name thing but I get corrected if I use the wrong name, wasn't having a go honest. :oops:

I can see how useful it is, will be looking out for a block plane blade going spare, I have a stack of those magnets just waiting for something like this to come a long. :D

DaveL":vvrhh7s8 said:
John,

Sorry about the name thing but I get corrected if I use the wrong name, wasn't having a go honest. :oops:

The name thing will be important if someone comes along in the future and does a search, so it's karmically better to get it right.

BugBear (always with an eye on archiving and searching)

I think thats very clever John,

Always amazes me the strength of those magnetics.....still when I think of magnetics I first think of those ones that sit on the fridge and fall on the floor all the time. :oops:

Where'd you get yours from for the chisel plane ?

No problem Dave and help Bugbears karma I have edited the original post so it now officially a flush plane.

Jake, the magnets came from from here. Don't know how easily they are available down there. Are the north and south poles on magnets the same way round for you? :lol:

John

Lee Valley have a great range of rare earth magnets and associated bits: they make a good little stocking-filler when you're having one of those exciting parcels put together.
Alternatively, if you are having trouble with these things, you can order some magnets and then just have LV throw in a plane or two.
Hey presto! No slope!

Back