Home made Air Filter (lots of pics)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraftNav

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Have just spent the afternoon making myself an air filter inspired by Dave L.

Like him I bought the Axminster filters and built the design around them.

march07044.jpg

I had this expelair stored away (it was fitted in my old greenhouse to circulate the air) its very quiet and about 50watts to run :D

Wanting to keep the filter light I used Aluminium for the structure and for the panels I used an old shop sign (made from Foamex)

march07048.jpg

The front that takes the filters is made from old decking with a lip on the back so the filter sits flush

march07054.jpg

march07056.jpg

With the filters installed

march07057.jpg

A bit of woodwork to finish off the rear grille (chicken wire)

march07059.jpg

and hey presto !! (the pre filter is held onto the main filter with velcro for easy changing)

march07060.jpg

Its quiet and is Definitely sucking air through as you can see from the ribbon I have tied to the grille

And all for the sum of £23.80 8)

I've got the proper Axminster version of the same thing and its a very good little unit. I clean all the crud out once a week with the 'shop vac and have it running off an electronic timer 3 times a day, longest time is for 3 hours at the end of the day from about 7-10pm - Rob

Anything that filters "your" air has to be good, and all the more satisfying if you have been inventive, nice one, you will reap the benefits.

Alan

Johnny,

Nice one, glad you found my one a good example. :)

I find it makes a big difference to the air quality in the shop, well worth the effort of making it. \:D/
An added benefit in my shop is it moves the warm air rising from the wood burner along the shop giving a more even temperature. 8)

Lovely job Johnny - I started one about 2 years ago -reminds me that I must get around to finishing it :oops:

I am sold on a dust extractor unit.

So how does one go about a woodburning stove?
Surely these are polluting 'machines'?
Or has the 'Smokeless Zone' legislation been repealed?

I don't think my local council would allow such a thing, or if they did, would assume I am running a business, and up my Council Tax accordingly.

Any advice on wood-burners would be appreciated.
(I don't live in the open countryside btw, and of course I assume you NEVER forget to put the fire out when you are done for the day?

John :)

Back