Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Home kitchen build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Karl

Established Member
Joined
2 Jul 2007
Messages
3,481
Reaction score
0
Location
Workshop
Whilst waiting for some design changes to be agreed on the island unit build, I was stuck at a loose end today and decided to make a start on our home kitchen. We had agreed on a design a while back, but time & money meant that was as far as it had got.

The first unit to build will be a tall, freestanding, multi-purpose unit. All units will be built from MRMDF with CND Maple face frames and doors. All painted. We already have granite worktops in the rest of the kitchen (the layout will remain pretty similair to what we have already), but this unit will have an oak top - the q/s board which was surplus on my island build will be put to use here.

Anyway, some pics of today's efforts. This is the bottom half of the unit - 430mm deep x 900 wide. There will be a slimmer top section mounted.



Face frame is held on with glue and pocket hole screws



Oak top ready for jointing and glueing tomorrow. The back two pieces will need to be joined end to end. This isn't too much of a problem as there will be a wine rack immediately above this, housed within the top section.



I'll keep the thread posted as I go along, but as it's all being built around other jobs, it may take some time (Lorraine has been warned!).

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

Karl
 

RogerM

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2006
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
2
Location
Devon
looking good Karl. How much do the faceframes overlap the interior of the cabinet, and does that interfere with the draw slides? Also I see the face framers also overhang the cabinet sides - so will the adjoining cabinet also have an overlap, or is this to cater for an end panel?
 

Karl

Established Member
Joined
2 Jul 2007
Messages
3,481
Reaction score
0
Location
Workshop
RogerM":2s750xhz said:
looking good Karl. How much do the faceframes overlap the interior of the cabinet, and does that interfere with the draw slides? Also I see the face framers also overhang the cabinet sides - so will the adjoining cabinet also have an overlap, or is this to cater for an end panel?
Hi Roger

The face frames are 45mm, carcasses 18mm. Overhand on the sides is 9mm (9mm t&g end panel to be fitted on end units).

The frame does interfere with the runners, but an 18mm spacer (18 spacer +18 carcass +9 end panel = 45mm face frame) does the trick. The hinges will be butts.

HC - cheers. It will be similair to the painted kitchen I built last year. I don't want the bead detail on the doors, but my wife does. I also might do away with the face frame to the floor on each unit and just have a normal face frame and kickboard. But not decided yet.



Cheers

Karl
 

RogerM

Established Member
Joined
4 Mar 2006
Messages
1,274
Reaction score
2
Location
Devon
Karl":1y41cid1 said:
The face frames are 45mm, carcasses 18mm. Overhand on the sides is 9mm (9mm t&g end panel to be fitted on end units).

The frame does interfere with the runners, but an 18mm spacer (18 spacer +18 carcass +9 end panel = 45mm face frame) does the trick. The hinges will be butts.

HC - cheers. It will be similair to the painted kitchen I built last year. I don't want the bead detail on the doors, but my wife does. I also might do away with the face frame to the floor on each unit and just have a normal face frame and kickboard. But not decided yet.



Cheers

Karl
Sorry Karl - but being first thing in the morning I'm probably being obtuse. For 2 cabinets side by side that's 2 x 18mm sides = 36mm of carcase, covered by a 45mm faceframe. 45mm - 36mm = 9mm, spread over both sides so surely should be 4.5mm overhang each side. What am I missing?

I only ask because as soon as the bifold doors and windows I'm just completing have been fitted into our kitchen extension I'll be starting on fitting it out with a beaded faceframe shaker kitchen very similar to yours - faceframes to stop at the underside of the units though rather than continue down to the floor. I was toying with the idea of 38mm face frames on 18mm carcases so that there would only be a 1mm overhang each side which wouldn't interfere with the drawer runners. or would faceframes that narrow look a bit mean?

I like how you've limited the faceframes to top and bottom of the base units, with no frame between the drawers - I may well pinch that idea!

And finally, is it usual to give each cabinet it's own faceframe, or do they normally cover multiple units so there is no obvious join between them? Or is it just down to personal preference?
 

Karl

Established Member
Joined
2 Jul 2007
Messages
3,481
Reaction score
0
Location
Workshop
RogerM":3au2xq3e said:
Sorry Karl - but being first thing in the morning I'm probably being obtuse. For 2 cabinets side by side that's 2 x 18mm sides = 36mm of carcase, covered by a 45mm faceframe. 45mm - 36mm = 9mm, spread over both sides so surely should be 4.5mm overhang each side. What am I missing?

And finally, is it usual to give each cabinet it's own faceframe, or do they normally cover multiple units so there is no obvious join between them? Or is it just down to personal preference?
This is based on each carcass having it's own face frame. Some prefer a single frame for multiple carcasses.

If you look at Bob's (Senior) recent kitchen I think you'll see that he has separate face frames on each unit.

The maths you do is when the upright spans two carcasses - in my example it is just covering the one.
 
Top