Home Insurance for my tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluekingfisher

Established Member
Reaction score
I got a letter from my Insurance broker the other day informing me that current building and contents insurance provider will be no longer providing cover for home insurance.

Not a big deal one would think but as I had my workshop in the incurtilage garage the insurers extended the cover for the house contents (up to £50K) to cover my tools.

My issue is that my work shop is now in a stand-alone building in the garden. The standard cover on the policies I have since checked out only provide cover up to £2K for outbuildings.

I would conservatively estimate replacement of all machinery, tools and misc items etc at around £20K (on a new for old basis)

One would hope that a total loss would never be experienced (such as fire or possibly flood) therefore a claim may, if unfortunately ever submitted would be for damage to a machine or from a break-in where tools were stolen. My machinery is pretty large so unless they came in a lorry with a jib any theft would probably only include theft of hand or power tools, which, from my experience doesn't usually reach that amount. however This said I would like to have cover nearer the total value of the tools. When I asked for cover up to the value the premium almost doubled (approx £700)

So, was wondering if any of the forum members have encountered this problem and how have they gone about protecting the value of their tools or do you just accept that the standard cover is usually enough then cross all fingers and toes?

By the way I am a hobbyist only.

Thanks all.

David

I'm in Ireland, with a similar situation except that my workshop is detached. I had no problem getting cover under my household policy for about ten years, but then my original insurer refused to cover the full amount I wanted on contents after I had bought some new higher value machines. I was eventually able to get covered on a household policy with one of our mainstream household insurers, but it took a couple of calls to get to one that would take it on.

The equipment is treated as normal contents (they have been told exactly what the situation is) and the premium is just pro-rata - the reason it required the change from my original insurer seems to have been that the new machines drove the ratio of contents value/reconstruction cost over some threshold or other. I don't know if this was unique to them.

It also triggered a requirement that I fit an alarm which I managed to negotiate my way out of - not because I didn't want an alarm, but because I didn't want my cover somehow ending up dependent on having a functioning alarm.

It as you suggest precludes commercial use.

It's not 100% straightforward territory, in that woodworking is fairly clearly a bit unpopular with insurers. I've enquired about commercial cover too as I'm headed that direction, and that seems to be troublesome too - some business insurers over here won't cover woodworking but I'm not sure why...

I just had a very good experience with contents insurance with Lark Insurance - I can PM you the details if you want but they gave me around double my previous blanket level of cover for around 2/3 of the renewal price.

Very sensible and helpful.

Miles

Many thanks gents, I'll look into craft insurance and if you have the details of Lark insurance Miles I'll give them a call too.

Very much obliged fellahs.

David

I have Marks and Spencer premier home insurance which covers my double garage workshop and everything in it. I asked a bunch of questions before I took out the cover with every possibility I could think of and I had email conformation that everything was covered. Both buildings and contents are unlimited and any one item or set of items is covered up to £4000 at no extra cost.

My main reason for this policy was to conver my mountain bikes which previously I was paying £210 per year just to cover them. These are now included on my house insurance with the added bonus of accidental damage incase I crash one of them badly.

check it out....

http://money.marksandspencer.com/insura ... ier-cover/

Cheers,
Sam

Latest posts

Back