Holm Oak Hollow form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George Foweraker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I have a problem photographing this piece it is so shiny i cant seem to avoid reflections.
This piece was originally hollowed out at Yandles show by Mark Sanger.
He gave it to me to dry and finish.
After a few weeks I returned it to the lathe and found there was no distortion so i hollowed it down quite thin microwaved it several times and air dried it.
Yesterday i finished and coloured it and applied one coat of varnish.
This morning I applied a second coat of varnish.
DSC00748-2.jpg

Hi George,
A very nice finish you have there on that form, you say Mark Sanger hollowed it in Yandles how wet was it when it was hollowed, if it was green wet when you got it how long did you microwave it for. I’m trying out the microwave method of drying out work do you microwave the wood till the weight of the piece doesn’t change, then let the piece stand for a week or so at room temperature and reacclimatize to the surroundings.

ps the form is very nice as well Mark.

Hi George,
Yes Cardigan is a nice place to live, I think you have some connections with the Cardigan area, I read your blog 4 minutes seems a long time
I usually push to about 1 minute I find the spigot gets a bit hot if I leave it much longer.

I suppose I could try the 4 min’s method and if it goes wrong I’ll tell the wife George said it would be ok ;-0.

Spasm

George Foweraker":2k46t0ro said:
Hi All

I have a problem photographing this piece it is so shiny i cant seem to avoid reflections.
This piece was originally hollowed out at Yandles show by Mark Sanger.
He gave it to me to dry and finish.
After a few weeks I returned it to the lathe and found there was no distortion so i hollowed it down quite thin microwaved it several times and air dried it.
Yesterday i finished and coloured it and applied one coat of varnish.
This morning I applied a second coat of varnish.
DSC00748-2.jpg

What kind of varnish are you using to get it to such a glossy finish after 2 coats.
Thanks and all the best my friend.
Tim

Back