Hollowing tools again.(now updated)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
Hi All.
I`ve been looking at the different hollowing tools recommended to me by yourselves in a previous post. With these in mind i went to the Yandles show, where i came across this :-
CIMG4051.jpg

It was only £8, made by Henry Taylor & more in my price bracket than the others that had been recommended, taking into account my novice abilities. :)
So, the inevitable questions, the screw measures 5.90mm across the thread, will any tips fit this & if so what are the best tips to go for.
Secondly i intend to turn a handle for it, would i be best gluing the two together with Araldite.
All advice greatly received.

the hamlet big brother tips will fit- make your handle about 24" long preferbaly from ash dont forget a ferrule, insert 2" into the handle add some glue if you wish, i dont bother.

Doug

I would suggest the Hamlet Small Brother cutter and shield. It's easier to handle than the Big Brother.

As to the handle exactly as George recommends.

George/Mark,

Thanks for the advice i will do a search & see what i can come up with regards the cutters, i`ve a nice piece of Ash that will do for the handle, so roll on Easter & some free time.

Steve,

Your welcome anytime, no need for an excuse :lol:
See you Tomorrow night, looking forward to seeing Richard (Findley) in action. If anyone else is in the Nottingham area & wants to see Richard, he`s at the EVWA, Greasley church hall, near Kimberley, 7pm 8th April.

Glad to see it's not just me who likes the 'Little Brother' tip on the 'Big Brother' stem. When I was at the Hamlet stand buying the tool I was told that in no circumstances should I use the small tip on the bigger tool.

Have been using it like so for a couple of years now and wouldn't dream of using the big cutter. Unless I put on a lot more weight and muscle. :lol: :lol: I find it just right to control with the smaller cut.

Thought i`d post a picture of the tool finally handled.

CIMG4072.jpg

Sorry the photo`s not great, i struggled to get the completed tool in the frame.
I`ve made the handle as long as i could, with regards to the limits of my lathe. It feels quite comfortable to hold.
Thanks again for the advice, i will be looking out now for some Hamlet little brother tips, can anyone recommend a good supplier.

Thanks George I will google them this morning & see what i can find out.

Jenx cheers i`m happy how it turned out (no pun intended).

Andrew It is a table football game, which gives you some idea how long the tool is, 31", it`s never going to fit in the tool rack! :D

LW
To answer your second question first, i hope so as i`ve never done a hollow form before :D .

Inspired by Georges (cornucopia) work, i really fancy having a go at a hollow form, though i will be starting with much smaller pieces of wood than George. :lol:

Once i`ve sorted some cutting tips, i`ll be giving it my best shot, i`ll post the results, which will hopefully answer your first question :? :lol: .

Doug B":30l2adkn said:
LW
To answer your second question first, i hope so as i`ve never done a hollow form before :D .

Inspired by Georges (cornucopia) work, i really fancy having a go at a hollow form, though i will be starting with much smaller pieces of wood than George. :lol:

Once i`ve sorted some cutting tips, i`ll be giving it my best shot, i`ll post the results, which will hopefully answer your first question :? :lol: .

Good luck Doug. :)

Just thought i`d up date this thread.

I didn`t get on as well as i`d hoped with the cranked shaft, i found it difficult to use & also to keep the entry hole as small as i`d like.

So after seeing Rolly Munro a couple of weeks ago, i decided to try & improve on my original tool, with what i`d seen & learnt.

First off the crank was removed, a flat machined on the end & a threaded hole tapped.
Then an articulated link was made from the shank of an old 13mm bolt, i`ve retained the Hamlet cutting tip & here are the results.

CIMG5033.jpg

CIMG5034.jpg

CIMG5036.jpg

I`m definitely NOT saying it will be a patch on the Munro, but will report the results of the modifications as soon as i get some time, to find the lathe again :roll:

Cheers.

Doug :D

I have some tool steel if you fancy making your own tips and a metal lathe and small mill if you want to make anything else...

Back