Hollowing, bowls,goblets etc problems!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith1

Reaction score
Hi,
Being a newbie to turning I find that I am having great difficulty when hollowing.
I have tried bowl gouges, standard and fingernail grind also scraper and a hollowing tool.
For some reason I am getting quite severe catches with these tools and am getting pretty annoyed with myself.
Definitely a case of the workman and not his tools, what am I doing wrong?
All tools are kept sharp so it is not that, could it be angles ? I don't know.
How I long to just sink into the wood as per the turning videos without bowls flying from chucks or half formed goblets breaking!
If anyone out there can save my sanity I would be most grateful for any and all advice.
Thanks in advance,
Keith

Hi

Start with shallow platters and dishes - master the technique on those and progressively move on to deeper hollowing.

You are using scrapers in the trail aren't you? If so the only way real way to get a catch is to allow the corner to contact the work, keep the contact patch away from the corners.

If you're using square scrapers it helps to grind them with a very slight convex end - again to prevent the corners catching.

At the end of the day - just keep practising and don't try to run before you can walk

Regards Mick

Another thing to try and do is make sure that the tool rest is angled into the bowl so as to keep the support of the tool close to the work. Mind you for true hollow forms then that is difficult.
And as Spindle has said practice progress from the shallower bowls to deeper only move on when you are happy that you have got the hang of it.
If possible try and join a club or find someone living close to you who can see what you are doing wrong.

Thanks very much for the replies, much appreciated.
I think that perhaps angling the rest may be a help, something to try soon.
As previously stated, probabley I am trying to run before I can walk but, having had limited success, I just can't wait to hollow like the pro's. I will just have to be more patient but, I really do hate those catches!

As a fellow newbie I can only say watch as many bowl turning videos on youtube. Ride the bevel and gradually turn the edge into the wood until you start getting a cut and keep it light until you gain confidence. The hardest part is going from the side to the base of the bowl as the gouge is contacting two faces. Have the toolrest below centre so the edge of the tool is on the centre line.

I am sure other far more capable will give you other tips too.

Ditto what PROCEL said. Most of us have been there and our share of catches. The angle of the tool to the wood is crucial and once you master it catches and digs will be just a memory.

It's always tempting to try to take a bigger bite than is safe. Take as light cuts as possible. It's easier to hollow wet timber too.
As everyone else says, practice, practice, practice.
Old table legs are useful practice fodder too. Old bits of pine glued together into a block too. Any old scrap timber in fact, as long as there are no nails etc.

Hi

Another reason for the catches, if you're using a bowl gouge may be its grind angle. If it is ground at too shallow an angle you can lose bevel contact as you go deeper or when avoiding contacting the lathe bed with the handle - loss of bevel contact almost always results in a pretty spectacular catch.

Increasing the bevel grind angle makes it easier to maintain bevel contact at the bottom of the bowl.

I'd check the angle of your bevel and regrind to at least 60 degrees, (anything up to 85 degrees is acceptable if it works for you but 85 degrees is getting extreme - I'd go for something between 60 and 75 degrees and see how you get on).

Note, The steeper the angle the less convenient it will be for working on the outside / inner sides of the bowl so a comprimise will eventually have to be reached but initially the steeper angle should make it easier to go a bit deeper and avoid catches.

Regards Mick

Back