Hollow form tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightweeder,

I'm in exactly the same position as you at the moment, I have the RS200 sovereign system which is great if not a little slow for smaller items but IMO no good for larger items. The RS200 hollows with a scraping action and obviously the munro's etc use a cutting action which is quicker when hollowing larger items. I'll probably be having a look round in the coming months at the various hollowing tools available although I was quite impressed with a video on the net of the Pro-Forme in action.

HTH

Steve :)

Steve Jones":pdfaaelq said:
Lightweeder,

I'm in exactly the same position as you at the moment, I have the RS200 sovereign system which is great if not a little slow for smaller items but IMO no good for larger items. The RS200 hollows with a scraping action and obviously the munro's etc use a cutting action which is quicker when hollowing larger items. I'll probably be having a look round in the coming months at the various hollowing tools available although I was quite impressed with a video on the net of the Pro-Forme in action.

HTH

Steve :)

The Roly Munro's too expensive for me. The Sorby RS 230KT looks more my style, and I'm more inclined to think a scrape will be easier than a cut, for a novice. I'm not in hurry, though and will be interested to hear what you come up with.

Save LW. The Munro is worth it. V. Easy to use

wizer":1udl5fhx said:
The mini Roly Munro.

Tom,

Why the mini tool. There is not much in it price wise and unless one really wants to do hollow froms with small openings then surely the mega is a more flexible tool?

S

Bodrighy":37t2fn5s said:
What sort of size hollow form are you thinking of at the moment?

Pete

Nothing specific Pete, but I'm making decisions on the basis that I can't do hollow forms at the moment. Know what I mean :?

Wizer - I'm being greedy, I suppose. I want a hollowing tool and a new bandsaw, and the bandsaw is higher on the list.

I ask as small hollow forms can be done without having the expensive tools though they do make life easier. All these were made with a spindle gouge and a tool made from a large Allen key handled and ground to an edge. They are all between 3" and 7" diameter and though not up to Mark & Georges standard it shows that it can be done.

Just remember that if you do it using a spindle gouge, if you start to get chatter you are over reaching. Use a decent sized one

Pete

SVB":3v1vqaml said:
wizer":3v1vqaml said:
The mini Roly Munro.

Tom,

Why the mini tool. There is not much in it price wise and unless one really wants to do hollow froms with small openings then surely the mega is a more flexible tool?

S

there's quite a few reasons Simon-
the mini will go to about 8/9" deep the bigger tool will only go to about 11" with the standard handle (poor design) 8 or 9" is plenty deep enough fopr most lathe's capabilite's and most peoples.
the mini has a smaller surface are of cutter so allot of people including me find it easier to control.
the cutting head on the bigger tool is quite large and as such needs more room/a larger cavity before it is safe to use inside

Bodrighy":1lfh4oqq said:
I ask as small hollow forms can be done without having the expensive tools though they do make life easier. All these were made with a spindle gouge and a tool made from a large Allen key handled and ground to an edge. They are all between 3" and 7" diameter and though not up to Mark & Georges standard it shows that it can be done.

Pete

I can't imagine ever needing more than these Pete. I'd be happier with something ready-made however.

George - this is useful info.

Thanks all.

LW.I have the rs200 and it is a very nice tool to use.
It will be suitable for small forms and boxes upto about 6" depth max.The scraper that comes with it i also find cuts nice and leaves a good finish.
The rs230 you mention would i presume be about the same sort of tool but you would be able to get round those curves/shoulders a lot better.

Hi

Before you know what tool you will want for hollowing you need to think what type of hollow forms are you going to want to make.

There is no doubt that the Munro is a fantastic tool. I have the large one and it is in my opinion the most efficient hollower on the market.

But if you want to be hollowing through very small holes then possibly too efficient as you get lovely ribbons on green wood that are a so-in-so to remove.

where as a scraper type cutter such as the Kelton's produce small chips and thus are easier to remove. But if you have a dig with the Kelton you will know about it so there is an offset to everything.

You will probably not know exactly what type of hollowing you want to do. Even if you do this will probably change.
I have used the Keltons for the last ten years but have recently purchased the large munro. Wish I had earlier as it is so efficient on more open forms or forms with a larger hole.

But I still reach for my Keltons.

You really need to try before you buy.

mark sanger":30dj7w0f said:
where as a scraper type cutter such as the Kelton's produce small chips and thus are easier to remove. But if you have a dig with the Kelton you will know about it so there is an offset to everything.

Thanks Mark. So, are you saying the Munro is more forgiving for a beginner? I'll not be doing anything ambitious, but need to have the option available for some simple hollowing.

Lightweeder":2bd24agd said:
mark sanger":2bd24agd said:

Thanks Mark. So, are you saying the Munro is more forgiving for a beginner? I'll not be doing anything ambitious, but need to have the option available for some simple hollowing.

Hi

I think the Munro is an excellent tools. I started on the Kelton's but I could use the Munro in a few seconds. Due to having the shield over the cutter it is definitely safer than the Kelton's. You can not get a dig in and yes it is much safer/easier to use.

You need to pay attention to the amount of cutter that you project from the tool as it will bind if too large but this all comes with the instructions.

Don't know where you are based but if you are Dorset way you can always pop in and try the two out.

Back