Hollow Form chuck advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm about to start down the slippery slope of hollow forms. I will start on small stuff until I get the hang of it then I have some 6" square by 12" sycamore I want to use.

I have a Supernova2 chuck with the standard 50mm jaws and the 45mm spigot jaws. I am not sure that these are adequate for larger hollow forms.

Do any of you have any advice about what jaws would be suitable :?:

I was looking at the Nova PowerGrip jaws as a possibility.

The Nova info seems rather conservative about the max sizes and/or speeds for the various jaw sets.

Regards,

Mike C

if you are only starting down the path mike why not try a faceplate if you have one? they are all i ever use for my hollow forms.

If you have got the Power Grip jaws that's for me, if not the faceplate is the way to go.

Yes Mike just use a faceplate.
After watching Cornucopia the other week turn an hollow form using the FP that is what i will be using in the future :D
As he says there is less overhang.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I hadn't considered a faceplate as I wasn't sure how good a grip it would have in end grain.

What size screws do you normally use? I have a good 4" Record cast face plate plus a faceplate ring for the 50mm Nova jaws.

Regards,

Mike C

the cast ones arent very good they flex too much axminister do a good/heavy solid one which i belive they make themselves. as for scews i use self tapping steel pan head screws which offer incredible grip in endgrain but you can use twin thread wood screws or ordinary wood screws- dont pilot hole them just drive them straight in- if your struggling dip them in paste wax- size depends on what wood and what overhang you are doing- on a 12" tall vase in spalted bech i use about 15 2" screws see pic but you have to judge that for your self as to what feels solid and safe.
this is a 6" plate
DSCF4046.jpg

I use the powergrip jaws if I'm turning something heavy but these days I tend to do smaller work on the step jaws. I've even been considering getting the 45 spigot jaws for smaller work.
I don't think I've ever had a problem with the wood coming loose whilst hollowing but, of course, I could have just been lucky - I still get catches sometimes.

Duncan

Hmmm, I never considered using a face plate and screws. Two reasons, end grain doesn't do well with screws or other fasteners, and I would lose too much wood off the bottom. I have Vicmark chucks, and put 4 or 5 inch jaws on them for the bigger hollow forms I do. About 1/4 inch tenon and it holds fine. Depends on what size of hf I am doing but works okay for me.
robo hippy

Hello all,

a face plate would be the safest in my opinion, having said that I am just finishing a 14 inch long by 6 inch wide hollow form in hawthorn and I used the standard jaws on my supernova,,,,,,held it just fine without any great tightening.

GT

Back