Hollow backs on Japanese chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David C":y61ketcd said:
I have used Japanese chisels for many years. The extra hardness is very beneficial if you work with extremely dense exotic woods.

David Charlesworth
And by default David, they also work well with more mundane timbers.

Grinding on the Tormek (unless you have the new jig) is in my experience almost impossible owing to the short blade.

However, some years ago I developed a cunning jig :wink: which gets round the problem. Jap chisels (and any other for that matter) are now dead easy to grind, except I've decided to go down the single bevel route this time - Rob

Paul Chapman":c9qbujal said:
Something I've never been able to fathom is the hollow backs on Japanese chisels. In particular, it seems to me that there's only a few millimetres of metal between the edge of the chisel and where the hollow starts. So what happens when you have honed the chisel several times and you reach the hollow :? Do you just throw it away and buy another one :? Do you keep flattening the back to move the hollow (but end up with a very thin blade) :?

Frankly I'm baffled. Grateful if someone could explain.........

Cheers :wink:

Paul

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back