Holiday in Norfolk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turn It In

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,
Due to other commitments and also problems with the computer I have only been reading the forum when times have allowed.
I have just had a couple of weeks in Norfolk and met up with Johnny T and had a very good chat and a look first hand at his excellent turnings and was very impressed.
Much that this holiday was a full family affair I gained dispensation from my wife and daughters and thoroughly enjoyed a professional lesson from Nick Arnull and the following two photographs sum up a fulfilling days work and tuition.
Picture035.jpg

Picture036.jpg

This is a sycamore bowl that is sprayed matt black, carved and decorated and finished with acrylic lacure.

Before I went on holiday my last piece was a walnut bowl turned from a slab I had bought from a local tree surgeon. The slab shows no detail of the grain within but once on the lathe it turned really well and revealed a wonderful grain pattern. The bowl is finished with carnauba wax and buffed.

Picture033-1.jpg

Picture034.jpg

I appreciate that coloured turned pieces are not to every ones taste but I enjoy learning new techniques and will be expanding on the excellent tuition received from Nick.

I look forward to your comments,

Regards,
Ian

fabulous pieces Ian from one of my favourite turners, Nick arnull. I am so inspired by his imaginative work and the end results are always pleasing, and yours is no exception.
Pleased you enjoyed your day, i can't wait until he comes to my club in Sept, i have already booked the day off work for it.. :lol:

Hoping to take the wife away to norfolk for a couple of days later in the year, would also like to meet JT.

Hi Steve,
Thank you for the comments and when you get over to Norfolk you must meet up with Johnny and see his work we really enjoyed the meeting.
If you can persuade your good lady to have a shopping trip round Norwich a day with Nick is very rewarding!!!
Regards,
Ian

Absolutely love em Ian, I think the first two are superb. Nick is one of my favourite turners, think you`ve got it spot on :lol: More please !
Steve

Hi Steve,
Nick is very inspirational and we worked through from start to finish with him putting ideas forward and the decoration just developed as the day went on.
It was not long enough but most satisfactory.
Regards,
Ian

It was an absolute pleasure to meet Ian and his family while they were down here in Norfolk,we had a great chat about things and passed a piece of wood or two between us, as you do :D

Ian, the bowl you made with Nick Arnull is a real winner, such an effective design, I was/am very impressed by it 8) I'm glad to read that you are going to make some more decorated turnings expanding on your lesson with Nick. You're always welcome to pop round if ever you find yourself back in this area, the kettles always on :wink:

I'm hoping to get a go on the lathe Friday and may well have a go at the Walnut you brought me. Glad you managed to hold back and not tell the forum about how clean and organised my workshop is at the moment :lol:

Look forward to seeing the next project off the Vicmarc and seeing how the days tuition with Mr. Arnull brings new dimensions to your work :D After hearing how impressed you were with it, I may well have to book a day with him myself :D

Johnny

stevebuk":1i2x1i2f said:
Hoping to take the wife away to norfolk for a couple of days later in the year, would also like to meet JT.

It would be really good to meet you Steve 8)

Lovely work you have done. Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed your 'holiday' hope the rest of the family did too :lol:

Pete

Hi Ian,

I think they are both excellent pieces, each one different in its own way. :lol:

I was never a great fan of decorated pieces, but having seen a fair few on the forum now, I am definitely learning to appreciate them more and more.

Malc :D

I think the photos have colour (white balance) issues.

I've tried to fix one of them up, bit it's tricky without a reference:

Picture033-1.jpg

Correction (by eye):

Picture033-1.jpg

BugBear

Hi guys and thank you all for your comments.
Hi Johnny yes your work shop had been tastefully covered in shavings to prove you had been very busy prior to my arrival and you kettle provided a fine drink for us all. Anyway you know what the walnut looks like now.

Hi Paul, the time spent with Nick was really worth it a great collection of useful tips his ideas and methods of finishing etc etc.

Hi Pete, of cause the rest of the family had a good holiday well apart from the rainy days but we all had a break from home and work. Pleased you like the bowls.

Hi Malc, decorated pieces are not always to everyones taste but can be made at reasonable cost as you use sycamore and not expensive imported hardwoods and the dust is less toxic. You can get stuck in and carve, texture etc and if it all goes wrong turn it off and have another go. So go for it!!

Hi Bugbear,
Thankyou for the photo correction, I was rushing to photo the bowls outside in relatively poor light and do not mess with the cameras setting and just use it on automatic.

Regards,
Ian

Turn It In":thuepmvc said:
Hi Bugbear,
Thankyou for the photo correction, I was rushing to photo the bowls outside in relatively poor light and do not mess with the cameras setting and just use it on automatic.

Well, as you see, it's possible to do better than that! Page 49 of your manual details white balance controls.

BugBear

Back