Hole for a candle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobscarle wrote
If I may be so bold as to ask another question (somewhat off topic), how do you stop green wood from splitting after it has been turned?
Bob as Chas says part turn your piece leaving a good amount of wood left on,leave for a few weeks and finish.
This is where a moisture metre is needed or you can weigh the piece each week,when the weight stays the same after a while it is ready for finishing.
I have tried the meths method and have had 100% success so far,though you do get a slight brown tinge after soaking.
But again it's another trip on the slope :roll:
Paul.J.

Thanks everybody for you advice.

At the moment Axminster have their Clubman chuck on special offer at £100, which is the same price as the lathe. It may be worth going for that, probably after the Turning Bash though when I have had chance to play.

Thanks for the advice on green wood. Mrs Silver, I read (probably on this forum) that green wood was easier to turn and therefore better to learn on. That is the only reason I have been using it. I tried a small piece of kiln dried oak today. It felt ok, but not as easy. I did knock the corners off with a plane before starting.

This is a strangely addictive part of woodworking. I did not realise how addictive until I tried it. It is a whole new area with lots of things to learn (and even more to buy).

Bob (not quite so confused now)

Hi Bob

Just for clarification on the benefits of learning/experimenting on green wood.

It is easier to turn than dried wood. Which is useful when one is learning how to make shavings. Because you can make nice long ones quite easily. That's a good visual confirmation that you are presenting at the right angle and that the bevel is rubbing nicely too.
A little twist/change of the chisel and the long shaving becomes shorter, or thinner - instant cause and effect.

And it often has that delightful characteristic of being free too!

It is not easy to buy blanks and then say 'OK, no particular end piece in mind, I'll just have a go at making something round. Oh dear, never mind, etc etc' - I'm labouring the point here but I think it's important to feel that if it all does go wrong then it's only cost your time, especially when you're learning the basics!

You may also have already discovered that turning green wood can be a wet experience! Some woods can be very pithy/sappy/wet! And it goes everywhere.
Make sure you dry/clean your chisels carefully after such sessions (and anything else in the 'fall-out' area!).

Back