Hold-Down Clamps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stu_2

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Afternoon All

Anyone got any recommendations where to get some clamps similar to these? They all seem to be ridiculously expensive for what they are.

Cheers
Stu

Edit - 20/1/14 @ 23:58: Link fixed

Hi Stu
Link didn't work but I found what you were refering to.
I haven't go these but do have the Sjoberg STO3 which are brilliant and ~ £26 per pair.
Glynne

Evening Glynne

Link now fixed :)

Thanks for that. I saw the ones you've mentioned, but I wouldn't be able to use those, unfortunately. I use sacrificial work surfaces (normally 18mm chipboard) which sit directly on top of a bench.

The ones you've got are pretty good value, and look like they should cost more than the Sjobergs I've linked to. I might have to look at using material clamps from mitre saws.

Cheers
Stu

just buy small cheap f clamps! then drill holes in your bench that u can put the heads through! to see what i'm talking about its the same concept as festal mft table.
Regards Richard

rdesign":74lyd17t said:
just buy small cheap f clamps! then drill holes in your bench that u can put the heads through! to see what i'm talking about its the same concept as festal mft table.
Regards Richard

Or take the head off, drill a 6mm hole through the end of the bar. Cut a slot in the workstop to take the bar, slot it through and use an M6 bolt to stop it lifting out again.

MMUK":ckp1g5x1 said:
rdesign":ckp1g5x1 said:
Regards Richard

Or take the head off, drill a 6mm hole through the end of the bar. Cut a slot in the workstop to take the bar, slot it through and use an M6 bolt to stop it lifting out again.
If you put slots in for the bar, the cramp would bind in the slot as a 19mm round one does, surely?. I picked up a Sjoberg holdfast at a carboot, but mine is a flat bar rather than a round bar, which made me think to drill the heads off some "F" cramps - the heads could always bolted back on if needed.

Holdfasts work in circular holes because they can be swivelled to the required position, Slots for bar clamps may be to restrictive as the clamp will only work in two directions.

phil.p":2gunezd6 said:
Point taken. I might do both on my next bench - I rather like the idea of being able to use a 2' or 3' holdfast once in a while.

Bar clamps will work just as well in round holes.

On a different note. I really like the Festool MFT principal and intend to use it on my next bench. Clamp holes are great but having them exactly spaced makes getting perfectly square cuts etc a doodle.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Still hoping someone has come across a hold-down similar to the one in the link, just not priced as stupidly :)

Wasn't there a member on here that made a big batch to sell to the other members. Very popular and well thought of as I remember. A search for holdfasts should show it.

They look pretty good value, but they wouldn't work for my set up. I need the spigot to plug into the work surface, and the clamp to slide up and down on the spigot, as I have no room underneath the work surface.

I'm amazed there are no alternatives to the Sjoberg one I've linked to. It's such a simple clamp, and a design found on many mitre saws. Looks like I'll need to make some up using those, and just make up some longer spigots. I called Evolution and they do they clamps as a spare part for around £10.

Cheers
Stu

Latest posts

Back