Hmm Whisky ;-)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, just noticed someone had Scapa as their avatar.... my preferred tipple are Islay malts (even took a holiday there, and stayed in a cottage next to the Caol Ila distillery). Not every day you wake up to the smell of your favourite malt.... We managed to tour as many as we could, Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Bowmore, Laphrroaig, Ardbeg, Bunnahabhain....and we even managed to nip across to the Isle of Jura Distillery. Funny, we seem to have similarly named bottles in the whisky cabinet now... :D

caol_stills_b.jpg

Also walked across Jura to see the Corryvreckan whirlpool. Although we were plagued by tics. Still, had time to stop for a glass or two back at the distillery before we caught the ferry across.

So anyone else have any recommendations for a favourite tipple?

Adam

PS Have to admit to finishing off a few bottles of Glenfiddich Liqueur - although I only seem to be able to buy it up there. Never seen it for sale down here.

malt_liqueur.jpg

Adam wrote:
plagued by tics
I'm reliably informed that a certain gloopy skincare stuff from Avon (Flowers of the Forest, or some such name) will keep the dreaded midges at bay. Apparently it's so good that HM Royal Marines buy it by the truck load for the lads when on exercise in northern climes - Rob

Woodbloke -avon "skin so soft" is the stuff works on the dreaded highland midge. And it really does work - I've been using it for some time when out trouting on the northern lochs.

For Cattle (deer) tics which hazel makes the little b***gers let go.

I have just returned down south after living 3 years in Thurso (the top right corner of mainland).

Tried all the malts, best one IMHO is Highland Park (Orkney).

lurker":2t6gvbst said:
For Cattle (deer) tics which hazel makes the little b***gers let go.

It was deer tics.

Adam

Just finished a 25 year old Bowmore which I must have owned for at least as long.
I regret I no longer have the head for whisky (or any spirits) so the last measure went into the last batch of marmalade. Sacrilege to some I expect but the flavour on butted toast is excellent.

Andy

woodbloke":22abqta5 said:
I'm reliably informed that a certain gloopy skincare stuff from Avon (Flowers of the Forest, or some such name) will keep the dreaded midges at bay. Apparently it's so good that HM Royal Marines buy it by the truck load for the lads when on exercise in northern climes - Rob
Hah. That's just what they say... 8-[ :lol:

Adam, did you visit the Constantine Stores when you were down this way? No tics but plenty of whisky. No blooming cider though, which is my preferred tipple. ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

Alf":3khv8w7j said:
Adam, did you visit the Constantine Stores when you were down this way? No tics but plenty of whisky. No blooming cider though, which is my preferred tipple. ](*,) Cheers, Alf

No, but I reckon I drove through it - must have been asleep not to have noticed. Shucks. Ahh well, any excuse for another visit. Back that way in September is the current plan.

Adam

Andy,

The time in the bottle does not count (only time in the wood casket), in fact the stuff starts to go off.

So when you drank your last drops of the 25 year it was just :shock: :shock: poor quality 25year old. Open bottle and drink within a year next time.

Whilst I'll continue to get my supplies on forays up north ( only a 10 hour drive from home!) Can I suggest you others watch the co-op they usually have a different malt on offer every week at a very good price.

Adam":3sj4ol8s said:
must have been asleep not to have noticed.
I haven't been that way in along while, but unless things have changed it looks like an ordinary village shop when you go past it. Comes as quite a surprise when you go in to find a huge cave with shelves and shelves of bottled goodness.

Adam":3sj4ol8s said:
Back that way in September is the current plan.
Hope it's a bit drier this time... 8-[ Give me a ping if you fancy to pop in for a cuppa.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1dl3s63c said:
Hope it's a bit drier this time...

I 'spect the residents of Boscastle are hoping that as well.

Adam

*will do.

Adam":q28dkb27 said:
]So anyone else have any recommendations for a favourite tipple?
Well Caol Ila is my favourite, partly because I had a few years working for Distillers in the 1970s and got the chance to visit some of the bonds and distilleries. As a result acquired a taste for the single malts :roll: . After Caol Ila I'd probably plump for Edradour, which despite not being an Islay could almost pass for one as it's quite smoky. Next up would have to be Port Ellen (although after the current bottle and a 21 year I'm keeping for my 65th I don't think I'll be seeing any more as the distillery is sadly closed and has been cannibalised). By the way when you were on Islay has Bruichladdich (prounounced approx. "breeky-laddy"? :lol: ) reopened or is that still mothballed as well?

Scrit

Scrit
Bruichladdich was on offer in my local "bottoms up" a 10 and 12 year old. It's been bought out and started up again, I have to admit I wasn't overly thrilled compared to Caol ila and I am on a fine Bowmore at the moment. Probably to do with the vanilla touch which I so detest in australian wine that has it as an assaulting flavour. Have a liking for Bunnahabin but doesn't seem to come on offer like the bowmore this week so I am always willing to try others. They keep having the speysides on offer which I am not too keen on, ho hum.

Alan

It has to be a Balvenie single barrel or a Laphroaig, after many years in the restaurant and bar business I've been spoilt, or maybe my palates been spoilt.......and my liver and kidneys .........

Dom

Personally I tend to go for the Speyside ones, with Knockando being a bit of a favourite although I do have quite a liking for the Isle of Jura and I really, really liked the very new Isle of Arran.

That said, any malt that's fifteen years old or more is going to taste good isn't it?
:D

Cheers,

Dod

Have I stirred up a can of worms here?

Laophraig or Talisker has got to top the list, but since a visit to Orkney, then Highland Park and Scapa (recently re-opened) have taken my fancy.

For those who haven't tried or have tried and didn't like a single malt, can I suggest Scapa. It is soooooo smooth and delicate, none of that Islay harshness or medicinal taste that some people detest. The biggest problem is that its just too drinkable...

I have, however, a large collection of single malt (empty) bottles. :wink:

Tony

What about the Irish whiskey?. Started tp visit Northern Ireland due to my job. I quite enjoy the Bushmills and Blackbush and Guiness and..............

Cheers or Sláinte :eek:ccasion5:
Tony

Drinking a little Caol Ila as I write, it's lovely. Talisker has to be right up there. Ardbeg if you get the right bottle, but it's very variable and the wrong bottle can be a bit like drinking liquid road - I guess that's the danger until their new production comes back on stream. Laphroaig and Laguvulin were my first single malts, all too long ago now, and are kind of old friends who I love to see again every now and then.

I love the stuff, no doubt about that. My only slight regret is having started at the extreme end. My tastes have mellowed slightly, but I can't really be bothered with the lighter more delicate stuff. It would have been a better trip to work through them the other way!

Back