Hitachi 1/4" router bearing problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonzjob

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Ex nr Carcassonne, France. Now Corston Malmesbury
I have had a Hitachi M8V 1/4" router for years now and it has just started to sound as if one of the motor bearings is giving up, it rattles/screeches at times depending on the loading. It has been a very good router and although it's fairly old it's only been lightly used.

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the bearings, I would change both, or would it be better to buy new. If new I have been having a look at the Bosche POF 1400 Ace. That's £102 from Amazon and I can just go up to about £150/£160

Any advise please?

Take it to bits and see what size bearings it has, if available cheap fix, if not the decision to replace the router has been made for you.

Replace the bearings and check on the brushes while you are at it. Take the bearings to a bearing supplier in your area and they should be able to get replacements easily. Otherwise OEM parts should still be available for a little more money.

Pete

Well, the easy bit was getting the armature and top assembly, the bit at the sharp end, out. The collet is also out, but the top assembly bearing seems to be held in place by an interference fit of the shaft on the collet holder. I have tried drifting the shaft out of the housing with no luck and I believe that the shaft may have distorted slightly with the effort. So even if I do manage to get the shaft out it ain't going to go back in correctly. I don't have any pullers so it had to be a drift.

I have ordered a new Bosche jobbie and to hell with it. The Hitache doesn't owe me anything as I have had it for a long time and I just can't be bu*gered to spend any more effort on it.

But whatever, thank you for your ideas gents. As a matter of interest, the brushes and armature are in about perfect condition. One of the jobs I had to do a good number of times as an aircraft eleky in the R.A.F. when I was working in the eleky bay stripping all sorts of kit was resurface armatures and bed the new brushes and these would have both passed inspection with flying colours

Now youve ordered a new one, take the old one apart, by force if necessary, purely for practice purposes so you know how to fix the next one. :lol: :lol:

Funnily enough it was made much closer to home

Attachments

• IMG_20200501_141409599.jpg
    IMG_20200501_141409599.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 87
Back