Hire a Micro Digger?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They do work well, but if there's any distance to cover they are slow. Had an area returfed where I work and it took three of these to keep up with a 1 tonne minidigger as the tipping point was about 150ft away

You can hire mini dumpers with wheels rather than tracked ,do the same job just a lot quicker getting from A to B

Son-in-law hired a minidigger to grub out the stumps of a dreadful 30m length of Leylandii hedge along the back of their garden, with a public path alongside. He and my daughter seemed to get the hang of it pretty quickly and with me wielding the chainsaw, the job was done in less than a day. Followed by several days with two chippers to dispose of the brash. Big stuff saved for the woodstove.
I had a similar long row of them maybe 8 inches or so in diameter. Had cut them down leaving about three foot stumps so I still had some leverage. Not looking forward to getting them out, or entirely decided on how I was going to do it. Local farmer is a friend and had come round with a big teleloader to move some earth for me. He just grabbed them with the bucket and pulled them up like carrots, most impressive. Big old machine mind you, the bucket was around 8 foot wide.

They do work well, but if there's any distance to cover they are slow. Had an area returfed where I work and it took three of these to keep up with a 1 tonne minidigger as the tipping point was about 150ft away
Mini dumpers come into their own when either:
Theres narrow access for other machines
Sloped terrain
Heavy kit to move
If youve got a bad back

Ive got one, slow, like 5kph, but moves 500kg per load, which is a lot more than a standard wheelbarrow. Hydraulic tip. Perfect in the mud or any difficult terrain.
Mine will JUST fit through an external doorway, i.e, into a house.
Sometimes though, its quicker on a wheelbarrow

I did take out a couple of tree stumps for my neighbour with my range rover when I had it! He had left the "stump" about 6 foot high so with a couple of ratchet straps and low ratio four wheel drive I just let the RR tickover and it levered the trunks out and just kept pulling till the roots gave. Quite enjoyable really!!
And a when I worked for a builders merchants and drove a truck with a hiab I pulled out several posts etc including a nine inch square oak post that had been sunk three feet into the ground, I took pity on the poor sod trying to get it out by digging with a spade and stuck a chain round it and pulled it out with the accompanying sound akin to a cork coming out a big wine bottle.

Last edited:
Thank you, I do not have any experience of them but to me, if someone is hiring a digger to remove soil which has to go in a skip then one of these seem ideal. Pleased to know they work well.
The one I hired had wheels and the bucket when tipped in the low position rather than the raised tip into a skip position could be "driven" into the soil pile so half loaded itself!!....

Thank you again all. I’ve had a landscaper get back to me who wants to come and give a price this week, so will wait and see what that comes in at first (assuming he actually turns up). Otherwise I’ll decide how to get on and do it myself

Not sure why there is all this talk about removing stumps. OP in his first sentence said
Well spotted! :D

Sean

Latest posts

Back