Hinge Help required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave261266

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a bit of a problem with a cupboard that's going over a fridge. The cabinet itself is a meter square and about 300mm tall. It will have two opening doors, so there are two wood sides and two open sides with a 50mm block acting as support for the open corner. I contemplated the idea of having doors that hinged from the side normally but I think that the doors would be too long at just short of 1m to open out sideways. So I was thinking of using some form of up and out hinge that would pivot the door up which seems a better solution.

The big problem is that the only ones of these I have seen have the main brackets attached to the side of the cabinet and I need them connected to the top of the cabinet instead.

I have been trawling around but have found nothing of use. Does anyone have any guidance on this one please.

Many thanks

Dave

Dave, maybe it is past my bedtime but I'm struggling to visualise what your cupboard looks like. with wood sides and open sides etc.

Have you looked at woodfit who do nearly everything in the way of hardware for kitchen cupboards.

hth

Bob

Use normal kitchen hinges fixed to the top of the cabinet with s lift flap stay fixed to the "solid" side.

As said look through woodfit and Isaac Lord sites for something suitable

Jason

9fingers":31o5zo0j said:
Dave, maybe it is past my bedtime but I'm struggling to visualise what your cupboard looks like. with wood sides and open sides etc.

Have you looked at woodfit who do nearly everything in the way of hardware for kitchen cupboards.

hth

Bob

ok - How can I explain...

Imagine a normal box (1m x 1m x 300mm high). If the box had two doors perpendicular to each other then they would need two adjoining sides to be missing. For the box to remain structurally sound a support would have to be put in for the top of the box in the corner that is not supported. This corner block is 50mm x 50mm x 300mm (minus thickness of top and bottom).

I'm not at home at the moment or else I'd take a pic and let you see but I hope that clarifies. I will have a gander on woodfit, had a good look through Isaac Lord and they didn't have anything that would help.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

An upright, 'L' shaped box?

Like a box with a quarter removed.

Cupboardcopy.jpg

Is that what you were thinking of -- Roughly?

:)

No I think he has something like this but 1m x1m and 300 high, the two doors are where I have glass.

alison.jpg

Still cant see why a pair of top hinges and a flap stay on one side of the door wouldn't work. Something like this that can be used on ONE side

Jason

Back