High Humidity...dehumidifier or vents??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Roy, will have to look into this carefully as cost maybe prohibitive,
footprint of shed is 22 ft x 12ft converted tackroom so larger than your average garden shed :D. Roof is already fully boarded (timber slats) but existing felt has gone porous :cry: need to insulate roof maybe easier to lay sheets on top? and then felt/epdm/onduline etc

Check these out Chris. Permaroof do off cuts which are much cheaper than standard. The second link shows how easy the job is, and it is!
Once stripped the rubber would be down in less than a couple of hours. If you go the wholes hog with felt, three layers, the rubber will most likely be cheaper, and remember, there are no joints. It's the stuff they make inner tubes out of, in fact, if you are unlucky enough to puncture it that is how it is repaired, with a puncture outfit!

http://www.permaroof.co.uk/

http://www.delston.co.uk/

Roy.

sorry but i have not read all the posts yet so i may be repeating someone.
i dry buildings for a living and the best solution for an unheated building in winter is....... a dehumidifier!!! BUT not yer run of the mill refrigerant d hum as these will not work well(or at all) at low temperature as they rely on cooling the air to dew point to work and they tend to ice up below about 10 celcius and this makes them practically useless to the point where they become blocks of ice at 5 celcius. some good ones do have hot gas defrost But they are still inefficient at low temps. ideally they need to run with the incoming air being cooled still to dew point but not to freezing about 15 celcius or so.
anyway what you need is a dessicant dehum such as an amberdry. this is perfect because....
1 it will work great in very low temps as it use silicagel to dry the air which is not temp dependant(ice rinks are dehumidified with these!)
2 it has a very low setting (about 250w)
3 by its action it also warms the air somewhat
4 it is quite sophisticated for a £200 pound unit and has a humidistat if you want to control the humidity and a condensor which most industry dessicant do not, they just blow the wet air outside. which means it works just like a normal refrigerant and you empty the trayevery few days.

This makes a great deal of sense....thinking back to when I ran the dehumidifier I have.

It was bloody FREEZING when it was running and cooled the workshop to well below the outside temperature! This is pointless as it might have been dry but it was too cold to work in!

I think I will put up with it and stick to Camelia oil.... :wink:

Jim

As we know that we feel much hotter than the actual temperature when the relative humidity is high. If the relative humidity is low, we can feel many coolers. Then, it could be just to study the conduction of relatives. Basement Dehumidifier

I have just bought the X-Dry dehumidifier from Meaco.com.

It is a dessiccant dehum, and as such does not freeze at low temp.

My workshop is uninsulated, as its only temporary, and this dehum has transformed the place.

It removes 10 litres a day, and has a tank, same as a normal dehum.

Most importantly it warms the air around 12 degrees warmer than when it enters the machine - very handy for keeping the chill off.

I have no doubt in my mind, that if my shop were insulated it would be quite comfortable in there for short jobs, without a heater.

I can thoroughly recommend this dehumidifier!

Liam.

Back