Hi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrmbrrmbrrm

Reaction score
Really looking forward to learning from the forum and sharing ideas.
I make automata as a hobby and pick up skills and tools as I need them to solve a new conundrum.
This is my latest...just finished. A blessing and a curse as now I have to think of the next idea!
1000009018.jpg

Well done and welcome
Did Heinz Wolff have some similar but different automata on the Great British Egg race in the 80's
I remember the programme but none of the content. Adam Hart Davis on his bicycle was a favourite though doing experiments outside with drainpipes etc. My first memories of automata are the Roland Emmet water clock in Nottingham Victoria Shopping centre and the wonderful Cabaret Mechanical Theatre when it was in Covent Garden. Luckily they have just reopened in Hastings.

Welcome - are you a fan of Tim Hunkin ?
Oh yes! I went to Novelty Automation just before lockdown in 2020. That memory properly kept my spirits up.
And took a trip to the End of the Pier Show 1st months ago. And the MAD museum in Stratford upon Avon.

I liked it but found the COVID changes a bit frustrating. You can't turn any handles yourself (apart from a few robust ones near the main desk) and you can't even press a button to stop and start each machine. You just waft your hand over the sensor. It's a sad compromise for something that is inherently about hand operating and learning by stopping and starting and going slowly to see how it works. So I would say to go if you're passing but not take a special trip. Novelty Automation in Holborn is a much better experience, the absolute essence of what's enjoyable about automata.

Back