Hi from Wales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

info_1

Reaction score
Thanks for letting me join. I'm Peter, and I have an alpaca farm near Usk in South Wales. I'm fortunate to have an on-site workshop and enjoy woodworking. Most of what I do is larger scale, such as chicken houses, but I'm thinking about dipping my toe into wood turning. For that I'll need a lathe and I'm beginning my research into that. Any help from members would be most appreciated.

Welcome.
Interesting that you have alpaca, as my wife spins Suri.
You might be interested to look at my thread entitled " Twisted " showing equipment we have made for processing Alpaca fibre

Welcome.
Interesting that you have alpaca, as my wife spins Suri.
You might be interested to look at my thread entitled " Twisted " showing equipment we have made for processing Alpaca fibre
Wow, very impressive and way beyond my present skill set. My wife spins too - best not to show her your kit though. She uses an "Ashford Elizabeth" wheel.

There is a Union Graduate I know of now at around £500 with about 8 faceplates included. Located in West Wales. These faceplates fetch around £30 each. I think it is a 3 pase motor though. Might be a good starting point. I would buy it but I really don't need another lathe.

K

Wow, very impressive and way beyond my present skill set. My wife spins too - best not to show her your kit though. She uses an "Ashford Elizabeth" wheel.
You might be interested, the original wheel in the Twisted post, was a Welch flax wheel.
It ended up with my brother-in-law who lived in Wales. When he passed, the wheel returned to us.

Back