Hi Fellas! Just signed up!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnSanders

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm a keen woodworker from Winchester UK. I have a small workshop dedicated to hand tool work, and a huge bandsaw. I've been messing with wood for 20 years plus and I'm now enjoying it more than ever. I have so much to learn and I'm hoping to be able to use this forum to exchange ideas, techniques and such like. I particularly enjoy hand tool work as it has a tranquility not found in the use of machines, apart from when you're chopping out mortices of course.
I'll post a few pictures of what I'm up to from time to time, and look forward to some lively discussion. John

Hi John. Welcome from another relative newbee. Lots of people here love hand tools, can't say I am one of them though :)

Hi, John

Welcome.

If you want a lively discussion ask about sharpening :shock: :wink:

Pete

Hello John,

Hand tools 'R' us. ... well some of us anyway.

The only power tool (apart from Land Rover and chain saws) that I use is a large bandsaw too. *

Welcome to the forum.

* and a drill press #-o

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. I'm with you on the tranquility and quiet satisafaction of working with hand tools, although I do use machinery to do the donkey work - bandsaw and planer thicknesser. Look forward to seeing what you are up to.

Jim

Welcome John! Good to have another hand-tooler with us. In my case the peace and quiet gets decimated by Bach or Pink Floyd. It is hard to follow a melody over a tablesaw. Pop in and enjoy our hand tools forum , never a "dull" moment.

Look forward to your posts and pictures.

Fond memories of Winchester, I stayed at the YHA many times in the 50's and used the mill race and surf board and when falling we were washed out of mill into that stream.

Sadly I believe that as all gone now. (It was at the bottom of the High Street?)

The mill is still there - managed by the National Trust.
Stream is the River Itchen ? :)

Rod

Yep, still all there DW as Rod says, and a lovely spot it is.

Welcome on board John S :)

Cheers, Paul

Welcome John.

There's plenty of hand tool users here if you need any advice; I myself recently upgraded to electric lighting, although the lamp itself is 60 years old... :mrgreen:

Strewth on a stick!! Now that is a warm reception! Sounds like there's a strong link between hand tool fanatics and bandsaws.

Racers":356rgpg6 said:
Hi, John

Welcome.

If you want a lively discussion ask about sharpening :shock: :wink:

Pete

Oh yes! Now sharpening is something I take very seriously. My motto is basically, if you can't shave with it, don't try to cut wood with it!! Ha Ha!
Generally, my sharpening gear lives on the shelf above my bench, at the opposite end from my vice, that way, if I'm halfway through doing something in the vice, I can quickly sharpen up without the need to take whatever I'm working on out the vice.
(Sharpening gear: Rag, little bottle of soapy water, Diamond stone #1, Diamond stone #2, and leather strop with the old French Soap) Done and dusted in 2mins, and back on the job again. Happy days! John

Back