Hi Everyone, Woodworking Machinery Company History Help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L.S.Barker1970":2q9dnz4c said:
Shrubby":2q9dnz4c said:
Hi melbourne Matty
You could add Dankaert (uk/belgium) to your lists
Scrit posted on OWWM under his real name ,nothing for a while though - I
hope he's well

Shrubby, Dankaert would be a definite, and a bit of an old faveriout too as I have an older 30 inch thicknesser of theirs. Nice bit of Kit indeed !!
Yes I did hear Scrit posted for a bit on OWWM, and also kindly offered to help with a project like this but, I dont think OWWM were ready to expand the data base at the time, Really could do with him now.
I hope he is well too, love to talk to him, from what I have read the guy was a walking encyclopedia on woodworking machinery.
Melbourne Matty.

it is funny that you asked Matty about the Dankaert. 30" is a fair size planer i would say.

myself a Matty are trying to get a lot of other machinery manufacturing lines included on the owwm. com. i love Wadkin here is what i have been working on lately. its a pk.

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0464_1.jpg

IMG_0463_1.jpg

IMG_0462_1.jpg 

IMG_0458_1.jpg

IMG_0457_1.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

i still have the fence and miters and quadrant to finish. all the bearings have been changed. lots of fun working on it . thanks for looking.
jack

Hi,

I found your post in results from a search for details on an old woodworking machine, for which I would very much like a photograph and any details.

It was a Sagar four sided planer, often called a fourcutter. The machine in question was made around 1955-57, and was painted medium gray in color, NOT the metallic green which I've seen on similar models. This color may help in confirming the date. The manufacturer was J Sagar of Huddersfield, Yorkshire, UK.

It would plane a maximum of 4" wide by 2" high. The cutting heads were cylindrical steel blocks, with four 1/4 thick cutting blades recessed into them at 90 degree angles. Each cutting head was powered by V-belts (I think either 4 or 6), from 5HP motors, rated at 2880 rpm. The feed in was powered by a 3.5HP motor, all of which were made by Brook Motors Ltd of Huddersfield, UK.

This machine was at a company for which I worked in 1982, and I would love to find out anything more about it, and especially to see a photo of this particular gray model. I have an mp3 format recording of it working - it was an impressive machine to see in action, and an example of solidly built, lasting quality.

Many thanks to anyone who can help with ideas or information!

Hi Mintaka22, just having a look at your post, and I do have some info on J.Sagar machines from catalogs I have.
I think the catalog I have is an earlier one but it may well be your machine.
It shows the early style Sagar base and runs square cutter blocks, might be too early.
The fact that you say the moulder was made around 1955-57 and made at Huddersfield, I find very interesting.
Firstly Sagar closed its door's in 1958, making that a very late machine indeed, the other is that J.Sagar were located at Canal Works Water lane, Halifax, the Huddersfield, yorkshire address is new to me and may well be another branch of works they had. I am Not sure...
Hope this helps a little.
sc0001716d.jpg

sc00018312.jpg

Melbourne Matty.

Hi,

Thank you very much for responding with a catalog picture.

Firstly, you are correct - J Sagar manufactured in Halifax; the misunderstanding was mine.

Your catalog picture shows an earlier four cutter than mine, so I've attached a picture of one which is very similar to mine, except this one pictured is green and has yellow adjuster mechanisms. Perhaps this is a repaint? The fourcutter I remember was medium gray in color, but otherwise very closely resembling the attached picture.

I believed it was bought new by the company I worked for, when they had moved to those premises in 1957, but they may have brought it with them from their previous site.

I was there in 1982, and understood that the machine dated from 1957, but from your information that Sagar closed in 1958, it could have been made a few years earlier. Sadly, I cannot find the one picture that I had of it, but do have an audio recording of it working.

If you find any further information, I'd be very interested to know. Many thanks again.

Attachments

• Sagar four cutter.jpg
    Sagar four cutter.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 55
Hi,

I know its a few years since the first post but I have been trying to find information on Sagar machines. I have seen alot of Sagar tenoners up for sale in the past year or so and they seem well built. By looking at most of them I think they are probably early versions of the Wadkin EKA.

Although I say early, I dont think much changed. Does Anyone know if the parts for the EKA work on the Sagar tenoners?

Back