Hi Everyone, Woodworking Machinery Company History Help.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A Big Hi to everyone, and a thank you for such a great site and resource.
I have been watching from the sidelines for a bit and thought it was time to take the plunge..
The Reason for my Post is that I am searching for Company History, information, starting dates mergers, works address etc, on all older English and UK made woodworking machinery.
I am involved in the US Based site, Old Wood-Working Machinery
http://www.owwm.com/.
There is a movement at the moment to add English Machines to the Database, as so much of this quality machinery was exported to the US, Canada, Australia etc.
Many of the posts and questions on the site are beginning to involve more early English Machinery and a need has arisen to help members Identify and find history on their wood-working machinery.
I have read many posts from one of your members "Scrit" and have found him to be extremely knowledgeable on this subject, but have not seen his posts for a while, how can I get in touch with him ??
Can any one else help Me ??
As an owner of many English machines my self I am pretty passionate about old wood-working machinery, and the History.
Any information on company's such as J.Sagar, T.Robinson, Wadkin, A.Ransome, and more would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Guys.

Melbourne Matty.

as Matty has said up post http://owwm.org/index.php is trying to gather much need information on British machines as possible. i live in Canada and there are lots of British machine and no information to be had. i my self have about 9 machines that i am trying to restore,mostly Wadkin ,bursgreen,or Wadkin bursgreen. we, Matty and myself would love to talk to any one interested in helping us get a data base going for your machines. i think they are some of the best machines ever made,and would like to share that with the old wood working forums. many of the names that Wadkin took over are unclear to us and it would be great to have a contact in the UK. i can think of no better place but this. would you guys be interested in helping the old dominion like Canada and Australia etc. find the information we need to preserve these wonderful machine.

jack 8)

tool613":7c6vtu1b said:
as Matty has said up post http://owwm.org/index.php is trying to gather much need information on British machines as possible. i live in Canada and there are lots of British machine and no information to be had. i my self have about 9 machines that i am trying to restore,mostly Wadkin ,bursgreen,or Wadkin bursgreen. we, Matty and myself would love to talk to any one interested in helping us get a data base going for your machines. i think they are some of the best machines ever made,and would like to share that with the old wood working forums. many of the names that Wadkin took over are unclear to us and it would be great to have a contact in the UK. i can think of no better place but this. would you guys be interested in helping the old dominion like Canada and Australia etc. find the information we need to preserve these wonderful machine.

jack 8)

quoting so the link shows - also jack might i suggest you make your avatar slightly smaller so it does not distort the page

Scrit was definately the man to provide you with information but unfortunately he doesnt post anymore. There will be lots of info in the database here so searching for wadkin robinson etc and author scrit should provide some information.

You can get pdf manuals here of a lot of the old wadkin machines http://www.daltonsmachines.com/downloads-old.html It may also be worth contacting them as they have bought the wadkin name and are starting to manufacture wadkin machines i think.

I have 4 wadkin machines and they are great other companies not mentioned by your post are wilson, sedgwick, multico, white who all made cast iron machines. Sedgwick are the only ones still in business i believe.

cheers

jon

thanks mouse. i will try to size it better. i was wondering what went on there with the page.

jack

JonnyD":bz5szi7d said:
I have 4 wadkin machines and they are great other companies not mentioned by your post are wilson, sedgwick, multico, white who all made cast iron machines. Sedgwick are the only ones still in business i believe.

cheers

jon

jony D i have read many of your post on the rz and th rs that you got aways back. i have the rd and the large rs. i have see Wilson shaper over here and cookley but they are not that common. i do know about dolton,. are they making machine again really?

jack

jony D

what are the most desirable old machine makers to be had over there in the order of there quality? what are the most common names to be found in good supply?
does any one care to reply.

jack

tool613":3dumn7f4 said:
jony D

what are the most desirable old machine makers to be had over there in the order of there quality?
jack

Wadkin and Wadkin Bursgreen are probably the most desired of the older machines because of there solid build quality. These old machines reconditioned by dealers often have a hefty price tag. Robinson probably made as good a machine as wadkin but there seems to be more wadkins in the market. Other well thought of manufacturers are dominion and Wilson in the heavy industrial market. For lighter use Sedgwick and multico are well thought of for the smaller workshop.

cheers

jon

what can be said about the combo machines. i has see the Wadkin fm. are the knifes still available for sail? i have a clam head in my rd with slotted knifes.what if any of you guys have to say about this cutter head design. are you changing them out.
cutter-3.jpg

jack

JonnyD":2uq9ag54 said:
. There will be lots of info in the database here so searching for wadkin robinson etc and author scrit should provide some information.

cheers

jon

jonny D

did scrit write a book? i had heard rumors. if so were would i find a copy?

jack

He joined another Forum after the "Big Fall Out" but I do not think he posts there anymore?
He seems to have disappeared - well at least from Forums?
I do not know if anybody knows his real identity?

A great shame as he was a "font of knowledge" regarding machinery.
It would be great if he posted again and/or wrote it all up.

Perhaps we should start a "Come back Scrit" campaign?

Rod

Harbo":1upw9qc5 said:
He joined another Forum after the "Big Fall Out" but I do not think he posts there anymore?
He seems to have disappeared - well at least from Forums?
I do not know if anybody knows his real identity?

Rod

Rod whats the big fall out. and what is the other forum?

jack

Hi melbourne Matty
You could add Dankaert (uk/belgium) to your lists
Scrit posted on OWWM under his real name ,nothing for a while though - I
hope he's well

Richard Findley":2d7esqjf said:
Hi,

You may find this PDF of some interest. It's a Wadkin brochure from the 1930's. Not sure it will help with your quest but may be of interest:

http://www.turnersworkshop.co.uk/Wadkin1936.pdf

Cheers

Richard

Richard, yes any information is helpful catalogs, Company dates, places of operation, etc .. so thank you, thats fantastic material.
Had a look in at your website too, very impressive stuff, there are not many professional woodturners where I live in Melbourne, your trade is very skilled and respected and not easy to make a living from unless you are quick and neat, all credit to you.
Melbourne Matty.

Shrubby":g3wty1r2 said:
Hi melbourne Matty
You could add Dankaert (uk/belgium) to your lists
Scrit posted on OWWM under his real name ,nothing for a while though - I
hope he's well

Shrubby, Dankaert would be a definite, and a bit of an old faveriout too as I have an older 30 inch thicknesser of theirs. Nice bit of Kit indeed !!
Yes I did hear Scrit posted for a bit on OWWM, and also kindly offered to help with a project like this but, I dont think OWWM were ready to expand the data base at the time, Really could do with him now.
I hope he is well too, love to talk to him, from what I have read the guy was a walking encyclopedia on woodworking machinery.
Melbourne Matty.

Harbo":33vc2nfj said:

Rod

Rod I am up for that campaign for sure, Its a shame to not be reading posts like his, everyone has something to offer with their knowledge.
Melbourne Matty.

"Knowledge imparted to others is not lost to him who imparts it"

Back