Hi all

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerrybhoy70

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm not long qualified as a craft carpenter, so still kinda finding my feet.
Been a qualified mechanical craft engineer since 1989, and thought it was time to get qualified in what I love to do - playong with bits of wood, and making them into pieces of art. :D

No doubt along the way I'll be a big source of headaches and brain damage - so apologies in advance. lol

Hope to have many chats soon.

Gerry

welcome to the forum Gerry, avatar is kinda large, might want to sort it out, folks in the know will be along soon.

gerrybhoy70":3heyadxf said:
Hi everyone,

I'm not long qualified as a craft carpenter, so still kinda finding my feet.
Been a qualified mechanical craft engineer since 1989, and thought it was time to get qualified in what I love to do - playong with bits of wood, and making them into pieces of art. :D

No doubt along the way I'll be a big source of headaches and brain damage - so apologies in advance. lol

Hope to have many chats soon.

Gerry

Sorry I've got to ask - what do the terms "craft carpenter" and "mechanical craft engineer" mean? I'm sure its ignorance on my part ... :)

Miles

Hi guys,

Miles - it's not ignorance on your part at all. A craft engineer is basically a craftsperson who starts with a blank page, designs what's needed/wanted and makes it from a variety materials but mainly metals. A craft carpenter is really just the same, except they predominantly use wood.
The reason craft is used in the title is they don't undertake any fixing or structural work.

Must be honest though, and admit that I didn't know craft was in the title until I was already a long way into the course. I thought carpenter covered a multitude of disciplines.

Gerry

gerrybhoy70":3nqrtu8f said:
Hi guys,

Miles - it's not ignorance on your part at all. A craft engineer is basically a craftsperson who starts with a blank page, designs what's needed/wanted and makes it from a variety materials but mainly metals. A craft carpenter is really just the same, except they predominantly use wood.
The reason craft is used in the title is they don't undertake any fixing or structural work.

Must be honest though, and admit that I didn't know craft was in the title until I was already a long way into the course. I thought carpenter covered a multitude of disciplines.

Gerry
So you'd be doing the tables rather than walls and if you make a cabinet it's someone else's job to hang it on the wall or fix it to the floor etc?
Miles

gerrybhoy70":1m8hk5u0 said:
Hi Miles,

That's about the size of it, yeah.
But inevitably I end up doing the hanging & fixing as well. lol

Gerry

Welcome to the forum Gerry.

Hanging and fixing eh? Well there's a lot of that goes on here, mostly self-inflicted...

I used to generate my posts in Word and cut-paste, but what the heck. Warts and all now..!
:lol:

Enjoy the wood...
John :)

Right, I've got it worked out.

Not done much stuff yet, but here's one.
A friend asked me to make doll's cribs as gifts for her daughters.
Not the most spectacular you'll ever see, but functional for their purpose.

Gerry

Cribs.jpg

Gerry,
Those cribs look well fit for purpose. Good on you.

Usually we post pics by opening an account with Photobucket.com or Flickr.com or similar sites.

There's full info on those sites on how to put the pics into a forum. Just use the preview button in UKW to see if you have it right before you submit your post.

Easy Peasey!

Regards
John

Back