Hi all newbie here. What chisels should i buy ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teza511

Reaction score
Just picked up a second hand Clarke cwl6b lathe from a car boot.
just need some advice as i've not used one since school days.

So it could do with a new band as the one on it is still working but its all cracked. where abouts can i get a new one as i can not find one on the net :?:

I need to get some chisels any advice :?: I'm a chippy by trade & use marples for my work, but this stuff i'm a fish out of warter :)

Hello,and welcome to the forum :D
New drive belts can be obtained from Machine Mart spares order line - 0870 770 7820
As for chisels - anything in HSS (High Speed Steel);popular names are Robert Sorby,Crown,Ashley Isles,Record,Henry Taylor - Axminster also do their own "Axminster" branded items,and the "Perform" range.

Happy shopping :D

Andrew

Hi Teza511, welcome to the forum,

If you can, get a copy of the late Keith Rowleys book Woodturning: a Foundation Course.,or at least borrow one from a local library.

I cannot recommend this book strongly enough as a guide for a new turner, it is a reference you will keep going back to several years down the line to confirm or reinforce methods.

From this you should get a guide to the basic tools needed and then I would advise you look around the various suppliers displays for tools that feel balanced in your hands, this may well mean a mixture of brand names but the important bit is whether you feel comfortable with them.

Back