Here comes Santa Claus . . . .

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodgerbaz

Established Member
Reaction score
I've almost finished my first Christmas present for this year . . . . sorree :oops:

Its a portrait (wot another one, I here you say, doesn't he ever cut anything else?) of Santa Claus. The pattern is a Shelia Landry Design and is called 'SLDK184 Self-Framing Santa'.

All I need to do is apply another coat of Danish oil and add a black backing board to the portrait bit.

Shelia's pattern called for the holly (top and bottom in the picture) to go all the way around the portrait. The bits I have cut were a pig to do and I knew if I was going to have to cut all of them I'd probably never finish it because it gave me no pleasure at all cutting them out. Fortunately, The first one I cut was at the top so adapting the pattern was not a disaster.

Besides being a pig to cut out the holly I prefer my version as it's more subtle (well he would say that wouldn't he :roll: ) and think holly all the way around would be far too fussy, but I'd be interested in your views.

Attachments

• Santa.jpg
    Santa.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 848
This will be my last portrait for a while (hurrah I hear you say) as I've got to start working through my wife's list of Christmas tree hangers which she inserts into the cards she makes.

bodgerbaz":2r1oegnu said:
I've almost finished my first Christmas present for this year . . . . sorree :oops:

Its a portrait (wot another one, I here you say, doesn't he ever cut anything else?) of Santa Claus. The pattern is a Shelia Landry Design and is called 'SLDK184 Self-Framing Santa'.

All I need to do is apply another coat of Danish oil and add a black backing board to the portrait bit.

Shelia's pattern called for the holly (top and bottom in the picture) to go all the way around the portrait. The bits I have cut were a pig to do and I knew if I was going to have to cut all of them I'd probably never finish it because it gave me no pleasure at all cutting them out. Fortunately, The first one I cut was at the top so adapting the pattern was not a disaster.

Besides being a pig to cut out the holly I prefer my version as it's more subtle (well he would say that wouldn't he :roll: ) and think holly all the way around would be far too fussy, but I'd be interested in your views.

It looks perfect to me any more holly and it would be too fussy (think ). The timber is super what a lovely grain and the finish will bring it all to a beautiful piece .

I like it but I think you, and your wife, are going to be fed up of Christmas long before it gets here :)

Fed up with Christmas . . . . . . . go wash out your mouth (hammer)

We love the spirit of Christmas and try to keep it in our hearts all year . . . . . . and no we don't have the Christmas decorations up :wink:

Barry - lovely work as always...

Question, did you cut the Santa centre part, at 5%, so it sinks back and creates the frame?

And when you put the black back piece on, will you cut to sheets, ie one to marry up with santa and then the actual black back board pulls it all together, sorry if I am not making much sense.

And what wood and thickness are you using, the cherry I used yesterday was 20mm and I think I should have used something thinner.

bodgerbaz":jkg8pb1j said:

Hi Barry very nice work and I agree with you it looks less fussy now .
I like this I will pick up the pattern from Shelias page .well done

Geoff

toesy":1dzdj6tt said:
Barry - lovely work as always...

Question, did you cut the Santa centre part, at 5%, so it sinks back and creates the frame?

And when you put the black back piece on, will you cut to sheets, ie one to marry up with santa and then the actual black back board pulls it all together, sorry if I am not making much sense.

And what wood and thickness are you using, the cherry I used yesterday was 20mm and I think I should have used something thinner.

Yep, got it in one toesy and your questions made perfect sense. The centre bit was cut at a 5 degree tilt so it drops in exactly and fits perfectly. By altering the slope of the table you can alter how far the centre bit sits inside the surround. The thickness of the wood will play a part in this. I did experiment with clockwise and anti clockwise on the same thickness offcut until I was confident about which way to feed the piece.

I'm only going to cut a piece of black card for the centre section and probably won't bother backing the holly bits top and bottom. I'll wait until it's finished and see how it looks as I can always staple some card on later.

The wood was English oak and I ran it through my thicknesser to take it down from 3/4" (19mm) to about 3/8" (10mm) as the plan suggested but if you're using a thicknesser you can stop whenever you thick it looks about right.

I'd be more than happy to try and answer any other queries you might have. You just need to ask :wink:

Barry

Hi Barry just ordered santa and got the sun & moon and green man plaques as well.
that's me busy next week and I have just got an order for a sun & moon plaque.
From my sister in law.

Geoff

Bryan Bennett":1q03zjno said:
Barry has much has I like Sheila's and Keith's patterns,sometimes the American's can be OTT at times.

Bryan
Hi Bryan, would that be American patterns or Americans per se that can be OTT?

Barry

bodgerbaz":1dol91uj said:
Well, good man Geoff . . . that'll keep you outta the pub for a l-o-n-g time :wink:
Keep me out of the pub that's one of my best selling places for my lathe turned pens and scroll work. :shock:

Geoff :D

Latest posts

Back