Herb Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnboy

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO grows a few herbs in pots on the kitchen windowsill and wanted a box to put them in to hide the pots.

The raw material. Leaves from a drop leaf table that a neighbour gave me.
maple or sycamore I think.
large.jpg

Missed a few steps here. Sides thicknessed and cut to length, ends squared on a shooting board. The tails are cut on the 'rat. I make all the ends identical by rotating and flipping the boards without moving the carraige for each cut. Hard to explain but simple to do.
large.jpg

As all the ends are identical I can mark all the pins from one tail board, no need to mark all the bits, the parts are interchangeble. I use a clutch pencil as shown on light woods as I find it easier to see tha marks. Chisel point on the pencil makes the mark as fine as with a knife.
large.jpg

Pins are cut on the 'rat. I have modified mine so there is no need to faff about with the button and spirals, just loosen locking knob and swing router plate to the required angle, set the depth and cut to the lines. I find this much faster and much more accurate than the method in the manual.
large.jpg

A completed joint. Couple of coats of acrylic varnish and a drop in base will complete it.

large.jpg

John

Looking very tidy, John. Nice work with the Woodrat. :)

If I had to guess, I'd say that was maple? Can't imagine sycamore would've been used in many drop-leaf tables...? :?

Nice work so far - had made me think about getting a 'Rat.

Back