help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickb69

Reaction score
Hi guys, i was hoping someone could help me please.

i have just bought an old black and decker bandsaw, BD339 A1 (now discontinued)
from ebay for about 35 quid.
it had been sat at the back of some old guys shed for years, but it still runs,

the only thing is, the motor speed controller is absolutely jammed, and won't budge, does anyone have any idea what could cause this, (there is no visible rust around that area) and what they are supposed to be like?
i don't want to force it, and disassembling it to find out may not be a good idea yet, i'd rather ask people who know better first.
naturally, it did'nt come with a manual...

also, how would i change the blade on this machine
(i have operated bandsaws and other workshop machinery before due to work circumstances, but never had my own bench tools and workshop before, and as the old saying goes, "assumption is the mother of all f**k ups" i thought i needed to find out properly instead of just having to stick to these settings)
my intention was to bung a new blade straight on it but the one that was on was really sharp so i cleaned it up and will see how straight it runs. the blade on it is about 6-7 tpi i think.

cheers guys.

mick.

Welcome, Mick

Stick around, they're (mostly :mrgreen: ) a friendly bunch on here and I'm sure someone will be able to help, or at least point you in the general direction of which bit to spray with WD40 and then hit with a hammer.

You have tried the WD40/hammer routine, haven't you?

aha, cheers mate, i'll try that.

see also, sat on the cold kitchen floor surrounded by a myriad of sawdust and jigsaw parts while my missus steps around me huffing that i'm in her way and (in a condescending "i told you so" manner) reminding me of the dangers of ebay "bargains"

This might help find a home for the bits you have left over.

E10387.gif

http://www.toolsandpartsdirect.co.u...----A-Type-1-Bandsaw-Spare-Parts__p-1636.aspx

cheers, it seems that the switch at the front moves the whole motor somehow,
the lever at the back #56, does'nt seem to do anything, and it is held in some sort of bracket near the handle that would stop it moving anywhere anyway

Never seen the saw, but the illustration shows a variable speed pulley.
The motor has to move, or swing on an arc, and the pulley, rear flange usually, slides under spring pressure along the shaft, effectivly changing the drive ratio.
Check parts 81 82 etc one or 'tother slides along the shaft.
Probably not now due to a combination of rust and saw dust.

Roy.

cheers, i noticed the pulley, it seems to have two wheels for the drive belt to switch into, which to me would suggest two speeds, but on the cover where there are the markers that show what speed you are set at, there seem to be six different setting points marked out.

anyways, it's set up and working as it is for the moment, so i'll try it out and see how it performs for what i need, then fix the problem with the switch mechanism, (because if i don't it will do my head in).

thank you, when i was trying to move the switch at first, i noticed the motor was moving (only very) slightly, and i thought "oh pipper! that's not good" so i stopped (as normally, motors are'nt supposed to move from their mounts on things)
so i am relieved at that

Back