Help With Oak Casement Windows & French Doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OakSniffer

Reaction score
Hi, i know this may be an old topic but could anybody please help me with a set of plans for Casement Windows and Doors, i have 12 windows and 3 sets of doors to make. Any tips would be greatly recieved.

Hello Oaksniffer,
I've been after the same sort of thing. Seems this is the 1 area of woodwork still classed as a black art, untouched by publication. I can't find any plans or a decent book on it anywhere. Could do with an old sage doing a complete WIP for us strugglers. Let us all know if you do turn up trumps.
Cheers

Thanks for your input Mr Grimsdale, i will check the books out.

John your so right about "the black art" i will definately keep in touch, we could exchange info. I have ordered some books which should be with me in the next few days, hopefully they will help.

What i am finding is there is plenty of info on older single glazed windows and doors but as we all know they are not suitable unless used as direct replacements in older buildings.

I am undertaking a barn conversion and this is viewed as a "new build" by building control and thus has to comply with all the current building regs. Double Glazed, Low e, Argon filled looks like it is the minimum.
SAP calculations are now a significant driving force in the design.

Thanks Guys, i hope we can crack this one. :roll:

Jacob, thanks for the book recommendations.

Oaksniffer,
Is this link any good for design ideas, might be too traditional for your needs. I'm still researching. Planning to build the windows in the summer when my workshop is organised.
[/url]http://www.mumfordwood.com/servedoc.asp?filename=CONSERVATION_CASEMENT_Layout01.pdf

Hi John,
thanks for the link.
Yes you are right they are a little too traditional.

The design and drawings are going reasonably well at present.
Currently working on the best gaskets, seals and hardware.

I will post the full design prior to build for comments and keep all informed as the build progresses. Build is scheduled to start in two weeks.

Cheers

PS any thoughts on French Doors?
Nearly every example i have seen has been either poorly designed or badly assembled.

For those interested....

4+10+4 = 1.8u

4+16+4 = 1.2u

4+24+4 is even better!

Just goes to prove how critical that gap is, keeps BC happy.

SaintGoabain
Low e, Argon filled, Toughened, Bio Clean £135.00 + vat m2
Low e, Argon filled, Toughened £75.00 + vat m2

John McM":yrz7ufyq said:
Seems this is the 1 area of woodwork still classed as a black art, untouched by publication. I can't find any plans or a decent book on it anywhere.
Not a black art at all. The subject is really with in detail in the C&G course books by both Brett and Rose, although as every opening is different there are obviously no such things as plans available, only general layouts and cross-sectional diagrams. I' d suggest you take a look at the current edition of the two volumes by Brett in particulat as these have recently been revised to cover current building regs quite well. The books are:

CARPENTRY AND JOINERY BOOK 1: Introductory Skills and Job Knowledge
Peter Brett
Publ. Nelson-Thornes

CARPENTRY AND JOINERY BOOK 2: Practical Activities
Peter Brett
Publ. Nelson-Thornes

and the pair will set you back around £52. Even Axminster sell them, although I bought mine from Stobart-Davies on the grounds that they are one of our last traditional booksellers/publishers left in the woodworking field and feel that maybe we should support them.

Scrit

Just out of interest to follow on from Scrit's post on the Carpentry And Joinery books vol 1 & 2.

Volume 3 also has a section on explaining windows & with detailed drawings of window timber section sizes & mouldings etc, plus interestingly enough a couple of comb joints for the sashes. It also shows some window drawings with & without double glazing panels. Which shows just how up to date the book is.

All 3 books imho are highly Recommended.

Great, thanks for the heads up on the books. I'll certainly have a look at them. I have no carpentry experience and have had no tuition so any help is a godsend. I appreciate windows are unique to a property but I have never come across any books showing any more than a few line drawings, maybe the odd cross section. None that explained double glazing, part L building regs, security fixtures, draughtproofing etc. For every other areas of woodwork you can buy books with clear colour photos, step by step projects,
cutting lists. By the way, next time any of you old sages makes a window would you mind taking a few wip piccies. It would really help people like me.
Many thanks :)

I'd like to add another request - I'm having an old barn converted into holiday lets, so absolute minimum maintenance is top priority. Apart from the obvious upvc, is there anything that could be used to construct windows that would need little to no maintenance? Old oak any good? Or am I better off asking where to find the Holy Grail......

One of the low-maintainance materials commonly used round here (Pennines) is recycled pitch pine. Covers your tooling and machinery in resin but seems to withstand the Pennine rtains well enough.

Scrit

Back